Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Sheppard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 02:56 pm:   

I think you're right, Rick. Certainly if the fungus has produced spores, then the diaphragm, and the whole lens barrel, must be full of them, and it would be next to impossible to completely eliminate them. The best bet must be to make sure the lens is never kept in conditions where the fungus can get started again.

Probably catching the problem early enough can improve the odds. Assuming that "our" fungus behaves like other fungi, the familiar fine threads are presumably the myceliae, which do not produce spores. To generate spores, fungi create a "fruiting body". Does anyone know what this would look like in lens fungus? A couple of the lenses I have stripped have had, as well as the threads, irregularly shaped flat areas of fungus, with what looks like a tiny lump in the middle. Could these be the fruiting body?

I'm afraid here in the UK the sunlight treatment is a non-starter for at least 9 months of the year! I have bought a little UV-C sterilizing lamp which I wave around over the lens components, but whether it has any effect I don't know!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration