Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 35

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 08:28 pm:   

To guarantee lens register, the F-1 body and mirror box are machined as a complete unit. This ensures no shims are needed on factory assembled bodies and the face for the mount is flat and parallel. Replacement mirror boxes are machined a few thou thinner and thus need shimming up to exact register dimension.

Do you have access to a surface plate? A piece of 1/4" float plate glass will do at a pinch. Test the flatness of the rear face of the actual mount first.

One concern I have, is your comment that with the two larger screws installed, the mount is loose. On all my various bodies, inserting diametrically opposite screws and tightening down will give a secure mount.

Am I right in assuming that inserting just the smaller screws (top rt, bottom lt) and tightening up, stops the shutter working? Gently probe these two holes to make sure the screws are not bottoming on something - ie plenty of clearance and screws will insert all the way in by finger pressure (do this without mount in place).

The rear body/mirrorbox is a rigid assembly and impossible to distort, you would need to wreck the camera. However; if you have a body with loose mount screws that has a long / heavy lens attached, it is just possible to distort the mount if you lift the combination by the body alone.

The puzzle to me is the looseness of the short screws. To distort the mount requires some force, hence my wondering about the short screws binding on some internal item.

I have a number of FD mounts, so if you want another spare or two to try send me your address. I await your findings.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration