Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 20

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:07 pm:   

Gene,

Have a look at your two lenses from the back. On SMC Takumar, on the surface which mates with the lens mount, at about 3:00 o'clock, you will see a tiny pin. This pin gets pushed in when you mount the lens on an older stop-down metering Spotmatic. The newer open-aperture metering Pentaxes have a recess in their lens mount, which prevents this pin from being pushed in and also blocks the Auto/Manual lever on the lens.

Can you move the Auto/Manual lever from Auto to Manual mode? Also - the rear element of your SMCT can be removed and by extending the lens' focus to the closest distance, you should be able to peek inside at the linkage. I think your problem lies in the tiny pin described above. Make sure that the Auto/Manual lever operates as I am describing. From your description of what the lens is doing, I think that the lens is set to manual. That is what disengages the stop-down pin and makes it feel as if there is nothing behind it. The aperture will close down when you turn the aperture ring of course, because the lens would be in manual mode.

Check that.

Good luck,

Jan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration