Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Goodman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   

Hi, Matt. They could be process related, however I'm going to suspect a light leak at this point. Because the damage is at the bottom of the images, we know light is striking the film at the top part of the camera somewhere. Zenits are famous for leaking here:

http://www.members.aol.com/jgood21967/zenitleak

but in your case, I don't think this is happening.

Leaks at the upper and/or lower film door slots are not uncommon. These cameras were originally sealed with a cord-like twine material. This is good only as long as it is still intact. Often it has snagged the film door and has been pulled out and thrown away by some previous owner. The hinge end seal was a cloth affair, and it may leak (although this is not a common thing). Further to all this, in very bright light, light can run in through the meter needle window and be caught by the edge of the pentaprism which extends past the viewfinder window.

The fact the damage is at the same place, extending to the edge of the film and colored actually makes me think light is striking the film from behind. At least, this has been my experience. Because of this, I'd start searching at the film door.
Jon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration