Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 159 won't fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax 159 won't fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contax 159 body whose shutter won't fire. The film crank is wound. The shutter curtain is in the cocked position. But none of the 4 methods of triggering it (shutter button, electronic cable release, manual cable release, self time) works. The self timer flashes like it's going to trip the shutter, but doesn't. Batteries are fine. Any ideas how to get the shutter to fire? Thanks in advance.

August

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will answer my own question here for posterity and for the guidance of future members and anyone who googles Contax 159MM shutter problems. On searching the archive I found that member Roger Provin posted about the same problem here 2 years ago and solved his own problem. The problem seems to be characteristic of this camera model. I contacted him and using his guidance, with some modifications, fixed my camera as well. With his permission, here are the instructions he emailed me:

"With camera facing you (looking at lens throat) peel off the rubber covering on the left side.
Take off the now exposed small plate (self timer comes away with it) and you see up in the top right corner (difficult) the magnet and armature which control the shutter release.

"One camera I repaired had a clear cover over the magnet the other didn't - so you may need to remove this also (one screw). It's this magnet and armature which suffer from dirt/oxidisation.

"With some difficulty and perseverance it's possible to get a piece of folded cleaning paper between the contacts. You may find just touching the magnet when you initially get to it makes the shutter work but I recommend you give it a clean anyway."

On opening my camera, an early production model, I did not find the small plate referenced by Roger and had to remove the entire left front panel (as viewed from the front, including the self timer) which required first taking off the bottom plate and the lower part of the lens mount housing (including the DOF preview button). Maybe the small plate was added later in production to facilitate this particular repair. Anyway, removing the whole thing gave me very good access to the magnet. Beware, upon removing the bottom plate, at least six things are likely to fall out of the camera, (1) the rewind release button, (2) a mylar disc in the winder linkage, and (3-6) the four little gold winder electrical contacts. All are easy to put back but not if you lose them first!

Mine had the clear cover but in trying to unscrew it the very fragile part of it that goes around the screw fractured, so I just left the cover off.

The magnet was indeed stuck to the armature and it took a little coaxing to get it to move, whereupon the shutter immediately fired (a welcome sound after having been dead for 3 years!). I used a micro brush dampened with naphtha to clean the magnet, contacts, and pivot point of the lever holding the magnet.

I hope this message helps future users of this fine but now completely unsupported camera.

August

Skegger
Tinkerer
Username: Skegger

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you managed to get it working yet? I had the same problem.

Take of the lens and look below the red dot. There is a little slot with a kind of lever in it that can be moved across. Use a hairpin or something to move it across (I did it with the camera on) and the shutter should fire.

I've attatched an image to show you what to look for.

Contax Lens Mount

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I solved my problem the way I described. What you did is sure simpler, but after you do that, does the shutter continue to work or does it lock up again later?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration