Minolta A5 Lens Barrel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » ARCHIVES » Archives - 2001 » Minolta A5 Lens Barrel « Previous Next »

By Ray Youngblood on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 06:23 pm:

Has anyone had occasion to disassemble the lens barrel on an old Minolta A5 with a Citizen shutter? It seems that the name and/or filter rings have to come off first but there are no spanner slots or other apparant means of removal. The assembly is so unlike others (Canon, Yashica, newer Minoltas etc.)I've taken apart that I'm a bit baffled. Anyone?

By chris sherlock on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:51 pm:

Here is what to do.... The shutter speed setting ring has two tiny screws in the black part towards the front. Undo these and the bronze coloured ring surrounding the lens will fall out. Next remove the three visible screws and then the shutter speed setting ring will come off. From here on in you are on your own......

Regards, Chris

By Ray Youngblood on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 08:55 am:

Thanks Chris. I'd initially removed the two tiny set screws to no apparant effect. Following your posting I tried again, this time using a little penetrating oil and prudent force on the filler ring ( anodized black on my A5) and out it came. The rest of the process of getting to and cleaning the shutter blades was straightforward and sucessful.

By Marc on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 08:25 am:

Recentley I bought a Minolta A5. Unfortunately the film advance lever has just jammed. The shutter release can be depressed, but the shutter won't work. Any ideas about solutions? Although tempromental, the build quality of these old range finders is superb. Is it a particularly rare camera? I want to repair it myself because its cheaper. I am a complete beginner, however I do lot of photography with a Cannon FTb. Are the workings of the Minolta A5 very complicated? Is it worth it fixing?

By Ray Youngblood on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 09:24 pm:

A jammed shutter can lock-up the transport function on the A5 so I would try cleaning the shutter blades. Fortunately getting to the shutter blades is relatively simple. Follow Chris' note on initial disassembly. After that it's fairly straightforward. The front lens assembly will unscrew by hand ( with a good grip) to reveal the shutter blades, which is nice. Check out Henry's Canonet article for blade cleaning technique. Be observant, take notes, draw pictures. What seems simple in disassembly can be a maddening puzzle in reassembly.

The A5 is not especially rare-just a bit uncommon maybe. The top shutter speed on most is 1/500. A 1/1000 was available and much less common. I have one which I bought at the post camera shop in Fort Gordon, Ga. in 1963 for $44. The version with the f2.0 lens would be truly rare in my estimation.

By Marc on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:08 am:

Thanks Youngblood, I will try removing the lens assembly as you say.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration