Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bottom leatherette on a Vito II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Bottom leatherette on a Vito II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to replace the leatherette on the bottom plate of my Vito II. I don't have the original piece to use as a template. It is, or course, inlaid. any ideas from you veteran's on how to make a template or something like that? I've seen the finished product on another camera and it is a perfectly cut piece that fits right in the metal inlay.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 988

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One piece of cartridge paper, a very soft ie 2/3 B carpenter's pencil and a small piece of double sided adhesive tape.

Cut the paper to leave at least 1/2" overhang around base and then use pencil as if you were doing a tomb rubbing - working well into all inner edges and around any other protuberances such as tripod bush etc. Then remove paper and carefully trim down to the pencil outlines - you may have to repeat this until a piece that fits perfectly is produced, however if one is really careful it is quite possible to produce a perfect template very quickly.

If you find the cartridge paper difficult to work with at the rubbing stage, use a thinner paper for the rubbing and stick the thinner paper down onto a piece of thicker paper before you start the trimming down.

The above was explained to me 55years ago by an 80 year old craftsman furniture restorer and I have used it many time in both camera and automotive restoration.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 85

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another method - stand the camera on a flatbed scanner and scan the base, then print it at 100% and cut out the template from the print.

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow two great answers! ..."tomb rubbing"... LOL great way to put it, thanks to Indiana Jones I know exactly what you're saying. What is cartridge paper?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 989

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Originally the paper used to wrap the powder and ball in for muzzle loaders - part of the journey from powder flask to metallic cartridge. The paper is tough and withstands bending, handling etc, the opposite to newsprint. You can use any good quality drawing or note paper if you go down the rubbing road, but of course you can join the 21st C and go John's scanner route. Have used the scanner method to copy vintage auto gaskets and make pattern of same, but not having a scanner - Luddite that I am - I usually go the rub method.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration