Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35SP very stiff aperture ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35SP very stiff aperture ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been using classic RF cameras since my first acquisition of a Zeiss Contina back in 1970. I am familiar with the usual problems, but this one has me boggled.

I have read the SP35 manual — 'move the shutter speed ring away from the "A" setting to the "EV" window' ... now the aperture ring should move freely. But it doesn't.

If only using my fingers it seems completely frozen. But, by using my complete hand as in trying to open a jam jar lid, the ring will move with difficulty. In course of doing so, the speed ring will move too.

And, there seems to be an interconnection with the speed and aperture ring that is not mentioned in the users manual. For example, after huge struggle I can get the full open aperture setting of 1.7, AND I can hear the timing device slightly "zizzing" as I turn the speed ring.

Now what?

My hope is that the problem concerns hardened grease in the detent balls. I sure do not want to fool around with all the cams and gears.

I would like to take all the rings off and inspect stuff — dissolve old grease and so on. But I do not know how even the first step of how to do this. Does the whole lens body have to come off? If so where do you start?

Any help would be welcome cuz if I have to send this lovely camera to N.Y. to have it CLA'd, I may just think about a new fixed lens digi — the "dark side". :-( To me this Oly is about the most perfect camera one can own ... for what I do anyway. I suppose a Leica M-3 or the early 50's Canon RF classic — or the Contax would be great. But the 35 SP has something special about it.

Thanks to all in advance — Thol

Sessyargc
Tinkerer
Username: Sessyargc

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW my SP also has a rather stiff aperture ring but not as stiff as you described. I hear that "zizzing" sound too. I don't worry about it much.

I haven't opened up the lens of an SP, but based on experience from opening up a D and an EC-2 I would suspect construction and dismantling should be about the same. Take a look at the Oly 35 RD article for reference.

Small note. In cleaning my other Olys, I only dismantled the lens as far as I can go. I knew I couldn't get back the clockwork back together so I did not purposely dived into them. Good luck.

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sessyargc: Thanks for answering. If nothing else it is nice to know that I am not the wold's exception. In fact, I've read other stuff around the net concerning SP stiff rings. But, as may be in your case, they do not seem to have been as stiff as mine.

Someday I may pursue the issue. But for now I am choosing to just leave it alone and use this lovely little camera as an auto type only. I really appreciate the EV read out. Last week I photographed some of the remembrance activities here in north eastern Japan (where I live). I carried a K-1000 with a 135 mm and used the SP's EV factor reads to manually set up the Pentax. I kept check of things with a very simple little Sekonic L-188 hand meter. (Who said it's supposed to be simple? ;).

My SP is otherwise in very, very nice condition. It looks almost new and the glass is clean. I keep the battery from depleting by putting a dab of Blu-Tac on the cell window. I use an SR-43 and a cell adapter to step down the voltage.

If you ever decide to get inside your unit, please let me know. Thanks for the advice too!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration