Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter sticking on asahi pentax spot... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Shutter sticking on asahi pentax spotmatic sp « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Winans

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

about every 2 or 3 times i fire my spotmatic the shutter sticks leaving it black when i look through it it will reopen after i fire another shot off i dont know if it is sticking closed or open. can anyone relate to this or help me

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One cause of this is the mirror-return linkage getting sticky, and the shutter doesn't have enough power to trip it at the end of its travel. A cleaning should clear it up....

Another possibility is that the shutter and mirror are both fine, but the mirror just got stuck to the little strip of foam rubber at the front edge of the focusing screen. This stuff can be cleaned off and replaced when it gets gummy.

Next time it sticks, before winding on for the next shot remove the lens. If you don't see film, then the shutter closed before the works stopped. Now very gently pull down on the front edge of the mirror with your fingernail. If the mirror snaps down, then it was just stuck to the foam up on top.

A good source of replacement foam stuff is Jon Goodman.....

: )=

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another possibility is that the curtain tension has gotten weak so that the second curtain does not travel with sufficient force to trip the mirror release.

John Bailey

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, which curtain is the one which trips the mirror release? The inner or outer curtain? Thanks. John

JERRY FERNON

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, My ASAHI H2, has a wrinkled curtain and sticks.Is there therapy or does it require replacement,if so where?

John Tomaszewski

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I just received a used Spotmatic that is generally in good shape but is very spotty on the mirror return. At 1, 2, 4, and 8 it almost never returns down, and above that it's about 75%. The foam is OK and the mirror doesn't stick to it. I'm new to camera repair but I've read through books by Romney and Tomosy to see if it's something I can tackle myself. From those books, the stuff I've read here, and what I see when I take off the bottom plate is seems like it might be that the tension on the second curtain is too weak and it's not tripping the mirror release (I can send pictures if anyone cares to help diagnose). I tried tightening the screw though (turned it clockwise 3-5 times,) and didn't see much of a change. How many turns is reasonable? I think Romney said try 3 turns so I was afraid to try much more. Thanks in advance for any input.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration