Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing stuck filter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Removing stuck filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a camera with a UV filter stuck on the front. There is no evidence of damage, dents etc, its just stuck tight. How can I remove it? It has defied all attempts at twisting it off by hand. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening with other lenses and filters?

Clive

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello David This is a problem that happens quite often . Please give more info on the type camera and lens you have and i may be able to advise you. Best Regards. Clive. You may try my email address if you wish.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

What sometimes happens is that when you try to remove the filter using a fair amount of force, the threads get a little bent and it becomes just about impossible to remove the filter.

Try any of the following:

1) Grasp the filter with your thumb and index fingers, kind of forming a ring around the filter with your fingers. While applying even pressure around the circumference of the filter mount, try to remove it.

2) Place the lens, filter side down, on a sticky surface (piece of rubber, kitchen glove etc.) and turn the lens to remove the filter.

Good luck,

Jan

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To prevent other filters from getting stuck,

a) place them on the filter thread properly
b) never tighten them too much
c) apply a bit of silicone grease or vaseline on the thread of the filter
d) avoid filters in aluminium mounts, aluminium threads get stuck quite easily when tightened too hard. Use filters in brass mounts if possible.

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just started repair on a Konica auto S 1,6 to which the removable acessory lens shade (Konica original) had been glued with superglue (!!!). On the former auto S this lens shade could not simply be knocked down because it is part of the lens barrel design, this may explain the reason behind the idea to make a sunshade part of the lens barrel! But, again, one can see that even the weirdest idea sometimes is put into practice; one has to consider this, when your filters, etc. won't come off ! In my case, when I tried to unscrew the item, I broke off the tiny pin that prevents the front part of the lens barrel from rotating, before I realized what the matter was, which means a lot of extra work !

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Buy a set of plastic filter wrenches.The set I have cost £2.00{pounds GB}and will remove filters from 49mm to 75mm.Otherwise use the good old hose clip, but and it is a big but,do not tighten the clip very much.Most hose clips will distort a filter holder,if tightened to much.Wrapping double sided adhesive tape round the filter,before placing clip on works wonders.
Never use lube or grease on filter threads!This can pickup sand,dirt etc,giving you a really stuck mount.Just run a HB or B grade pencil around the threads a couple of times.NONSTICK graphite lube that last for ages!This dodge is about 100 years old,but cannot be bettered.

David

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera is Chinon CS, lens 55F1.7 Chinon, filter Rolev MG 52mm Sky. The odd thing is this filter actualy has two little grips on opposite ends to help in gripping the filter. I did not screw this filter on, I bought the camera and lens this way. It will not screw off, it is stuck tight. It does not help that this is a screw lens at it screws off the camera when twisting the filter.

Ray

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello David:

Fargo sells dental dams (rubber sheet material) that helps you grip. You might also find some adjustable strap wrenches at fargo that might work (my local "Big Lots" store has them for less). I've read that you can use the correct sized rubber furniture cups (the kind you use to protect the floor from chair legs) and they can be modified to fit. The idea is to get a good grip and move them apart without breaking anything. Best of luck to you!

Clive

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello David

Try this to solve your filter problem.

(1) Remove lens from camera body.

(2) Set lens focus at infinity mark.

(3) Put lens (filter side down) on rubber pad.

(4) Grip the complete lens and push gently down on the rubber pad while turning the complete lens unit anti-clockwise.
Try this a few times and see if it works.
Never use to much force at any time.

Let us know if you succeed. Best Regards. Clive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration