Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIa Shutter Problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Retina IIa Shutter Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use my Retina IIa a lot. Until today all shutter speeds, including B, worked OK. But today, after removing a roll of exposed film, when I tested the shutter on B it stuck open. In my attempts to get it to close I cranked the film-advance lever. I may also have turned the shutter-speed dial. Eventually the shutter closed.

Since then I find that B works most of the time, but sometimes the shutter fires at approximately 1/30 instead of remaining open. This tends to happen if the shutter is cocked and I move the shutter dial to B from another speed, or from B to another speed and back to B again (without firing the shutter). On subsequent shots on B, the shutter usually remains open as it should. However, occasionally it closes prematurely.

My question is whether the malfunction pattern I have described sounds like the result of damage or merely lack of service. I am afraid I may have damaged something in my attempts to close the shutter when it first stuck open, or by changing speeds when the shutter was cocked (I already know not to select 1/500 if the shutter is cocked).

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only thing you should not do is changing from B to any other setting if the shutter is stuck open at B.

Otherwise, similar problems with Compur shutters have been described here previously. The B setting requires movement of a lever which is normaly blocked by a slot in the cam disk. When set to B, this lever may move due to the slot being wider at that setting. The lever is spring-loaded, and if the spring is misbent or misplaced, or if the cam follower part of the lever has been misbent, it will not move correctly, and the shutter will close again even if the release lever/button is still pressed.

Check for a lever of which the extension (cam follower) rides in a long slot in the cam disk, and check whether this lever moves freely. On some shutters the cam follower does not easily get back into the slot and has to be tweaked during assembly. If it is assembled the wrong way it may get misbent.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This problem can also occur if the "B Lever" is not bent but is just sticky with old grease: the little spring will not be strong enough to move it into its operating position. I would guess that your shutter is in need of cleaning. I doubt that you damaged it while trying to get it to close.

Jon

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration