Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing/replacing Agfa Karat bellows? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Removing/replacing Agfa Karat bellows? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bliorg
Tinkerer
Username: Bliorg

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all -

I have an old parts Karat 36 I'd like to harvest the bellows from. Can't for the life of me figure out how, though. Anyone removed or reinstalled these before and have any starting points for me?

Thanks,
Scott

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No one knows?!

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 173

Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I don't actually know, since I don't have one of these and have never actually seen one. But maybe I can get the ball rolling here.

Since it's a folding camera, it can't be that much different from other folders. Have you removed the lens and shutter assembly from it? If you have, then it's a matter of removing the bellows from the front and back. The front will probably be fairly easy, as they are usually glued to the back of the lens standard (the bracket that holds the lens & shutter); it may also just be attached to a plate in the front, making removal trivial. The back might not be so easy, but it will also be glued, probably to the inside of the camera body just in front of the film gate. Removing the bellows is usually a matter of very carefully scraping it loose at both ends without tearing anything.

Maybe giving us some more info might help. (And of course if anyone here has specific knowledge about this camera, that would be helpful too.)

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, David. I was hoping someone with direct experience would see this thread, but my interest in Karats is waning, and I can only imagine I'm not alone.

Ok, for future reference, here's how things work on this: The front of the bellows attaches to the rear of the front standard with four tiny screws. The screws are extremely difficult to remove. Once out, the front pulls away easily. Similarly, the rear of the bellows attaches to the body with six of the same tiny, difficult-to-remove screws through another brass mounting plate. To access the screws, the shutter needs to come out, and the fairing surrounding the front standard needs to come off. Once removed, the brass plate, which is glued in place, lifts off with some prying. It is very easy to damage the bellows during this process.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 174

Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I imagine that Agfa did not consider bellows to be exactly what one would call "field-replaceable units". Sounds like you got yours off OK; mazeltov and a Classic Camera "attaboy" award to you.

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, David. I can use all the attaboys I can get these days... ;-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration