Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ni-cad replacement in Canon MA motord... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Ni-cad replacement in Canon MA motordrive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peterclarke
Tinkerer
Username: Peterclarke

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ni-cads in my MA motordrive need replacing but I am having trouble opening up the holder to get to them.It looks as if it shouldn`t be too difficult but I am obviously missing something but WHAT? If/when I do get it open am I going to find that I need a special ni-cad pack unique to Canon that will cost more than a drycell holder?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Ni-Cads used in the MA unit are standard N cells, only problem is that you need to solder them up. I cannot help in the opening stakes, only done the F drive packs. However I think the top of unit comes off after removing screws, the leatherette also has to be pulled back as it covers the split line. Also check for screws under label on top of unit. You may have to use an X-acto blade on the split line under the leatherette.

Sorry that I cannot be more specific.

I did find both a UK and US source that would refurbish Canon Ni-Cad packs - unfortunately I did not bookmark them. If you Google Ni-Cad N cells in Canon MA drive, you will find some information on this subject.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have replaced the batteries in a number of MA drives, I have used NiMh cells obtained from www.strikalite.co.uk
You can use either N cells ( ID592 ) or 2/3AAA ( ID25 )these are tagged batteries, the tags will have to be shortened and folded over.It is a very tight fit so take a good look at the way the pack is builtup, when you remove it.
I hope this helps.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 81

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. NiMh cells are the way to go - no over capacity problems with the ones quoted by 'Fiftyfifty'. Remember the MA is in a fully stalled condition just before rewind kicks in. Despite all the people who state they have no problems running their MA, with the AA battery holder stuffed with high capacity AA rechargeables. I have supplied ten new motors in the last 18 months, to people who incinerated their MA doing just that.

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I recall, the Ni-Cad pack has a resistor of some sort in it that limits the stall current of the motor and keep it from burning up, as Ni-Cads and NiMhs have a lower internal resistance that alkaline carbon-zinc cells.

Wouldn't it be possible, in theory, to put a resistor in the AA pack so that it could be safely used with rechargeables? Of course, if I owned an MA(on my "to buy" list", I would prefer to have both a working rechargeable pack and a AA pack that could be used with regular batteries should the need arise.

Peterclarke
Tinkerer
Username: Peterclarke

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all who have responded to my plea for help.It is obviously worth persevering with opening the battery holder and fitting NiMh cells the only problem being that I STILL can`t get the holder open.I am loathe to try forcing anything but there is probably something very simple that I am missing.Any suggestions?

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to remove the plate that surronds the charger plug, also I have found the socket for the remote has to be loosened. Do not remove the Canon name plate there is nothing there. With the side rubber sections off you should have no problems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration