Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 shutter release not operating Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F3 shutter release not operating « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have this Nikon F3 with cocked shutter and shutter release button going only half-way down.
I compared the shutter curtains of a working F3 with this one and from the position of the smooth (not textured) area on the second curtain seen from the back I concluded that the shutter was cocked.
The smooth area is on the right side, and appears to have the same width as on the working F3 with cocked shutter.
I searched this site for info, but didn't find a similar problem...
Help ??

Reborn7
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some additional information :
- batteries are new
- shutter release button goes whole way down
- mechanical release lever doesn't release the shutter

Although the shutter curtains appear to be OK the shutter doesn't seem to be 100% cocked otherwise the mechanical release should work ?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 243

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No insult here, but is there film in it? The same thing happened to me the other day with my F3, and after the initial panic I realized that I'd reached the end of a roll, but the placement of the end was such that it had seemed to go through a full cocking motion instead of jamming halfway through as usual.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 244

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please ignore my previous post, as I did not carefully read where you said you'd inspected the shutter "from the back!"

Reborn7
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm that lucky to have two F3 bodies permitting me to compare their functions :-)

But as I'm not the owner of the faulty one I cannot be sure that the mechanical release was working before the shutter locked up.

On the working F3 the shutter release button can not be depressed fully when the shutter is not cocked,
on the faulty F3 (with cocked shutter) the button can be fully depressed but nothing happens! :-(

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration