Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb and/or lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb and/or lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Woodfind
Tinkerer
Username: Woodfind

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a Canon FTbn through the mail and when I wind and push the shutter release, I hear a click but the shutter does not open. If I turn the ring on the lens and start to take it off, then the shutter releases. I have other FTb's (not a "n") so I tried another lens from it and it worked. I also tried the "new" lens on one of my other FTb's and that worked. I'm confused, is it the camera or the lens? I have never noticed this before but the "new" lens has a lever on the back of the lens that has a red L and a white dot. What is that for? Could that be the problem? I have tried it both ways.
Jerry

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1016

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lever on the back of the lens allows the iris mechanism to be locked, so the iris can be worked manually with the lens reversed or off the body and mounted via extension rings etc. For auto iris on the camera, set the lever to the white dot. To lock the iris mechanism in manual, push the iris operating 'lever/tab', that sticks out from rear of lens adjacent to the lock lever, towards the lock lever and then move the lock lever to the red L. Not sure about the shutter release situation,but be aware of the following - In the FTb it is possible to lock the manual stop-down lever (self-timer lever pushed towards mirror box and small lever below it set to red M) in the manual position. When this is done and the lens removed, you can see a red dot in the bottom right corner of the mirror box, just adjacent to the vertically moving aperture value sender lever for the meter. If memory serves one should not see the red dot when mounting auto lenses, so make sure the camera manual stop-down lever is not locked. Red dot is covered by camera iris operating lever when camera set to auto iris mode.

If you are saying that new lens works on one of your original bodies and that the new body works with one of your original lenses, I do not know what to suggest. I would get sight of the FTb instruction manual and make sure everything is set right before you really start worrying.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 319

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FTbn manual can be found here http://www.butkus.org/chinon/

For an ungraded model, the FTbn sure has some quirks about it. I just got three of them, and it is a bit confusing how the different mounts on the lenses affect the camera operation. It also figures that I paid the least for the one that was in the best shape.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration