Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ae-1 advance lever broken Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon ae-1 advance lever broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rebecca

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have canon ae-1 and the advance lever will not move it's jammed or something

Garry

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a fairly common problem in AE-1 cameras that has to do with jammed advance shaft. Try not to force the advance lever as it may cause further damage. We specialize in service and repair of 35mm SLR and Digital cameras and are certainly familiar with this particular problem. Our repair estimate for this particular model is $53.00. For more information visit our web site at www.garryscamera.com.

Garry,
www.garryscamera.com
[email protected]

Francis Otto

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might find that, bu removing the bottom-plate (2xcross-headed screws and gentle wiggling) that you can un-trip things: see what wants to move, when you gently move the advance-lever, and see what's stopping it; the fork/bar responsible could be (gently!) held back with a jeweller's screwdriver to allow the advance/cocking to proceed. It's all there, I think, in Tomosy Bk.1, but I've mislaid my copy.

Sean Beresford

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been given a canon ae1 program, and i do not yet have a film in it, however the film advance lever does not move all the way, which seems to be a common problem. is this because their is no film in the camera or is there something wrong internally. any advice or answers helpful. thanks. Sean

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing to do with the camera being loaded or unloaded,it will cycle without film.It is impossible to even guess at your problem with the information given.
1,Is the battery new?if it is,are contacts clean in battery box?
2,What is shutter state;cocked,uncocked,half cocked?Open rear door and see where abouts the metal curtain laths are in the film gate;on left,in centre,on right or curtains are open.
3,Is the sprocket shaft locked/jammed,or can you rotate it in direction of wind on film travel.Make sure rewind button is not pushed/stuck in when you do this test.

A jammed main shaft can occur and is probably due to lack of maintenance and Canon's cost cutting substitution of metal parts with plastic.However the AE1 Prog benefited from the A1's development program.Considering the millions of A Series manufactured, this problem has a very low occurrence rate.

As we are both in the UK,feel free to contact me direct with the answers to the above pointers.

Sean Beresford

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, i managed to find the problem, the battery in the camera was dead and so i have now replaced it and the camera is now working, thank you.
Sean

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration