Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Black viewfinder on Nikon FE...please... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Black viewfinder on Nikon FE...please help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jacob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, this morning I received a Nikon FE camera. I was delighted but as me and my dad were trying to load a film (both of us being inexperienced with cameras) something happened and now when i look trough the viewfinder i can see nothing at all. My dad said that he remembers the shutter release button being pressed while the back was open. The camera will not "take" any pictures and i cannot wind it on. One of my friends suggested this may be stuck shutters but I don't know. Any help diagnosing or fixing the problem will be gratefully received. Cheers,

Jacob

ps. we were following instructions from a manual and were not forcing anything.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jacob.
The shutter fired, but only halfway. It is kind of difficult to know what happened here from a distance. Does the camera have a good battery?
Jon

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jacob,

Jon's above suggestion is a first step you should take. Make sure that the batteries are good; the FE has an electronic shutter and it will only work with a batteries.

The FE's shutter dial also has an 'M90' setting, at which the shutter will fire even without a battery. You might have to install new batteries though, to 'start the camera up' again - that is if the problem indeed lies with the batteries.

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

Jan

jacob

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, batteries were new in but could be faulty i suppose...i could try taking the batteries out and putting them in again? also i will try putting it on m90 setting and let you know how it goes. thanks for your help,

jacob

jacob

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

unfortunately just taking the batteries out didn't work, and i have no spares.it seems as thoughg maybe something has jammed, i think i'll just take it down to my local camera shop and get them to check it out. any more suggestions are welcome though. thanks

jaocb

Stuart Willis

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jacob - Are you there? Hello Hello?
You are not listening, Jacob !

If you do not have spare batteries - then buy some. 2 x SR44 Silver Oxide cells. Clean the battery compartment contacts with a cotton-bud lightly moistened with meths. Don't forget the inside surface and edges of the battery-compartment cap and the metal upper edge of the compartment recess.

Insert he batteries correctly ( 2 x stacked as with Positive downward into the camera base). Set shutter speed to an arbitrary

1/30th sec., - and hopefully you will be back in business.

BTW - it is not Christmas Day in Australia.
It's Boxing Day. So I am not inebriated and my info to you is rock solid.

Jack

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New batteries aren't needed. If the shutter has jammed due to lack of battery power, rotating the shutter wheel to M90 will release it. It's also possible the mirror is sticking in the "up" position because the mirror damping foam has turned to goo. That's a common problem in older Nikons, one that sellers almost never warn you about. I would suspect that at this age, there are no remaining FEs that do not need new damping foam and light seals.

Good luck!
Jack

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration