Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contarex lens repairs Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Contarex lens repairs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bloater
Tinkerer
Username: Bloater

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have just had 3 Contarex lenses ( 21mm Biogon, 50mm Planar and 85mm Sonnar ) serviced including re-polishing and re-coating and also had a Contarex Bullseye camera serviced. They were away with the repairer for 2 years having the work done partly because two other lenses ( 135mm Sonnar and 35mm Distagon) were and still are totally jammed ie focusing mechanism totally jammed. The repairer either could not or would not dismantle them.

Can anyone offer any clues as to how these lenses might be "unjammed" ? I have tried flushing lighter fuel (petrol) through the helicoil but so far it has had no effect. The glass in these is a bit "glazed" but might clean up if I can dismantle them.

The lenses that have been serviced have come back surprisingly clean and usable considering the seriously fungused state they were previously in. I bought the outfit "as seen" two years ago.

I'm planning to use the camera and also hope to get an adaptor to use the refurbished lenses on Olympus four thirds Panasonic G1 micro four thirds cameras (available on Ebay)

Thanks for reading

dunk
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco1966
Tinkerer
Username: Marco1966

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully this info is not too late.

I have sucessfully unjammed a 135mm Sonnar (f4) and a 25mm Distagon. These are my notes:

General:

1.The rotation of the optical group (as with all contarex lenses) will change the aperture. make sure you mark it some way before removal!
2.Once you have removed the optical group you may have to heat the barrel in an oven to 150F (or more) to get the old lubricant to free up!

Removal of optical group (comes out from the front)
1. with a rubber tool remove the threaded retaining ring.
2. Remove thin alloy outmost ring
3. Remove thin "spacer below it.
4. Optical group can be removed in one piece.

To separate Helical:
1. Remove 3 screws holding the "slider" access is fron rear. Separate helical slowly marking the point were it separates.
2. Clean old lube and re-lube.

Cleaning the diaphram opening mechanism.
the Contarex lenses diaphram control is on ball bearings! this needs to be cleaned to guarantee a smooth opening diaphram and a correct exposure. Taking the ring apart (on the barrel) is easy getting 40-50 ball bearing back in place can be fun! Help yourself with some masking tape to hold this in place while you put this back togehter one ball bearing at a time. Lubricate these with a light oil when done.

Have fun!

PS I also have notes for a 25mm distagon if anyone needs them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration