Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Welti -- light seals? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Welta Welti -- light seals? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Welta Welti I bought on the big auction site arrived yesterday, and during the teardown I noticed a small piece of something that looked like cardboard in the upper part of the channel surrounding the film compartment. There is apparently VERY little information on the Welti anywhere on the internet. My question is: is this a light seal or is it just something that somehow got in there? Doesn't look like any kind of light seal I've ever seen before, and I'm not sure how you could close the door and not crumple it. I'm about halfway convinced that it is just a piece of debris, but I thought I'd better check.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 175

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cardboard (and also paper) shims were used in various Welta cameras for infinity focus adjustment of the lenses, in the ones (Weltis and Weltixes) I have there are neither seals in the grooves of the film chamber nor at the backdoor hinge, W.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this was black, looked kind of like some kind of paper or fiber gasket material, and seemed to have a faint small diamond shaped cross-hatch pattern embossed in it. It was about two inches long by about an eighth of an inch wide and about as thick as a sheet of construction paper. Both ends were torn off and it was sitting sideways in the groove above the film door (where a light seal would go in cameras that use them). Now I'm wondering what it could be. Odd place for a shim, since there is nothing to shim there. Maybe something the owner added?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration