Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica A shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica A shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeguyver

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a Yashica A TLR camera. Everything looks fine except for the shutter. Shutter open and closes very slow-may be due to congealed grease. How can I clean the shutter and what lubricant should I use ?

Mike

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 337

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No lubricant at all. Use cigarette lighter fluid (Zippo, Ronsonol, etc) to clean it.

The shutter in the A is right out front, easy to access: unscrew the front lens, then you can remove the front panel and the shutter speed ring to reach the escapement inside. If the blades open slowly as well as not wanting to close at the right time, then you may have to go in deeper to clean them. Do the escapement first, though, and see if that gets you there.

To try to clean the blades without removing them from the shutter, unscrew the rear lens (to keep it clean) and spray a spritz of CRC "QD" Electronic Parts Cleaner (you can get this at WalMart or hardware stores in 11 ounce spray cans) onto the blades, then immediately operate the shutter over and over again until the blades are dry. This may not be enough, but it won't do any harm in the attempt and it will save you some work if it's successful.

I have some general notes on what to look for here (your shutter will be a little simpler inside than these examples):

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeguyver

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thank you very much for info.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration