Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dismantling berolina 12mm lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Dismantling berolina 12mm lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gromgull
Tinkerer
Username: Gromgull

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little while ago I bought a Berolina 12mm M42 fish-eye lens on ebay (pic1 below), and although it makes for some very interesting pictures the quality isn't very good. Inside the front bit of glass you can see a bit of dirt and I wanted to take the thing apart to give it a good clean. I successfully removed the element at the back and a few metal rings. One of the screws had the head worn off so I to drill it out though, which worked fine, and I hope it will stay together without a screw there when I reassembly.

Now however comes the problem, I am unable to remove either the aperture ring or the front element. Inside the aperture ring there is one larger (i.e. maybe 1.5mm) screw above (i.e. closer to the mount) which I can loosen, but not get out, and three smaller screws below which again I can loosen, but not get out all the way (see pic2). This made turning the aperture ring much easier, but it wont come off.

The front element seems to be attached by a metal ring which might be screwed on, but is also glued, you can see the remnants of glue in pic3. I tried using a soldering iron to melt the glue but it wont budge in any direction.

Any ideas? The thing wasn't terrible expensive so I'm open for risky (i.e. destructive) suggestions.

pic1, pic2, pic3

(No way to post images here directly?)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration