Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ensign Selfix 820 Lens Removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Ensign Selfix 820 Lens Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Morat
Tinkerer
Username: Morat

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this board after finding an Ensign Selfix 820 in my loft when I was clearing out. The camera is in good condition with the exception of some kind of condensation inside the lens and stickiness in slower shutter speeds. The film transport is clean and the bellows look in good condition.

I can see how to remove the front element of the lens (it's a Ross Xpres f3.8) but not how to get at the rest of it. Google's let me down, can anyone talk me through removal of the lens and cleaning of the elements and shutter mechanism please? I'd like to put some film through this camera instead of using it as an ornament!

Traquair
Tinkerer
Username: Traquair

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any experience repairing that type of camera, but www.oldtimercameras.com in the UK sells reprinted repair manuals for a number of Ensign Selfix cameras and Epsilon shutters.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morat,

it's a bigger project than just the front element. There are at least 8 surfaces, and the rear elements need to be approached from the rear of the bellows i.e. the lens unit has to be disassembled from the bellows and mount. This will entail the need for a lens collimation test at the end of the repair, and it frankly is a lot of work.

I've never had the misfortune of trying a cleaning exercise like this. It sounds like you area already aware of how to take off the infinity lock to release the front element. If you were fortunate and the condensation inside the lens was limited to the front of the element, then perhaps a partial clean would suffice. You might still need to swab down the lens surfaces with hydrogen peroxide since it isn't clear whether the condensation you are describing is fungal related, or a part of a deterioration process. Generally Ross Xpres lenses from the 1950's remain in excellent condition due to their cemented construction in addition to the relatively temperate British climate/humidity.

As you may know, the Epsilon shutters had a poor reliability record. My Ross Ensign Selfix shutter has always been sticky at speeds below 1/25seconds however that troubles me little since I use it primarily as a street photographer's tool.

Best of luck. It would be great if you could offer any feedback on the oldtimer manual if you elect to go down that route.

Kind regards,

RJ

Mrmrrb
Tinkerer
Username: Mrmrrb

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Morat,

I have just found your thread after posting a similar question myself!!
Did you have any joy in removing the remaining lens parts?
I am trying to get at the shutter mech as it will not set.
I have read somewhere that these epsilon shutters are quite easy to repair ...but I can't get at it!

rgds
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration