Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta SRT issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neotruth
Tinkerer
Username: Neotruth

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings, all. This forum was suggested to me by a member of photo.net for getting assistance with my Minoltas. I have two SRT's which are experiencing issues.

The first is a Minolta SRT 201 -- the meter doesn't appear to work on this one. I opened up the bottom of the camera to see if any wires were loose, but everything looks alright (granted, I have no idea what to look for). Taking things to the next destructive level, I unscrewed two plastic pieces on each side of the top of the lens mount, just below the prism area, only to discover there's nothing there (doh!). They won't screw back in, so I assume there's a nut or something on the other side that's fallen down in there somewhere. Everything else on this camera appears to work well, if I can only get those plastic pieces back on and get the meter working (I have tried both Alkaline and Weincells to no avail).

The second camera is a Minolta SRT MC-II. The meter appears to work on this one. In fact everything was working fine just a few short days ago, and I've put a roll of film through it and am waiting 2 weeks for Ritz to get it developed (good grief). I am not quite sure how I managed this, but somehow I've got this camera locked up. The shutter won't fire (though I believe it's cocked, or stuck in the act of coking), the film advance lever won't advance, and the self timer sticks at just before the point where it normally would fire the shutter. Also, after this occurred, I depressed the film rewind button the bottom and it won't pop back up. I believe I managed to do this by starting the timer and then fiddling with the shutter speed and/or film advance lever. I'm sure it's all connected somehow.

Also, while I was fiddling around with this one, something has dislodged and is obscuring the bottom 1/8th of the viewfinder. Like a rectangular piece of paper, sitting on an angle. If I hold the viewfinder up to light and look through the bottom of the focus screen I can see it in there. Not a clue what that is or where it came from, as it wasn't there a few days ago when I was shooting film.

The only local camera store is a Ritz, and it won't have anything to do with old cameras -- and even if they did, I imagine it would cost more to repair one than they are selling for on eBay in working condition. I would really like to fix these things if I can, though.

If anyone has any help for me, I would greatly appreciate it. If anything needs clarifying, or photographed, I can try to do that as well. Thank you. :-)

-- Spencer

Neotruth
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright... I guess I need to stop messing with this thing. I have lost the string for the aperture ring on the MC-II. I believe it rolled up inside the camera.

I can't figure how to get the film advance lever off to get the top completely off either. Yuck. :-(

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 346

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chrome ring around the shutter release button unscrews to let the wind lever come off. The tool I use for this is a wooden dowel with rubber glued to the end of it... double-stick adhesive foam tape works even better. As I recall you have to make sure the shutter is COCKED when you press this tool down on the ring, so that the button will be free to push down out of the way.... press down very firmly and twist counter-clockwise to loosen the ring.

I have some notes on the SRT; I don't know if they'll tell you what you need to know, but if you email me at [email protected] you're welcome to a copy.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 183

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Basically there are two things to consider: it took most people like me, unskilled and inexperienced non-technicians, years and a good number of easier (=RF cameras) before they opened up their first SLR, so (#1)from my point of view it does not make much sense starting with rather complex cameras with no idea what to expect.
(#2)I can fully understand your being disappointed at present, but you can either go on complaining (but that does not make much sense either, does it?) or try to take the hard way to becoming a tinkerer, here is a link (the best one I know, in fact) about the basic functions of SRTs, maybe it helps you to solve your cameras' "issues": http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/photo-srt.htm
NB: the rectangular thing in your camera's viewfinder is most probably the speed indicator dial, it can easily be glued back (or not so easily, perhaps, as it sits under the prism/ inside the meter block),
hope this helps to make the right choice, W.

Neotruth
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips and the link. Sorry if I came across as a whiner. It was rather disappointing though, as I am fairly new to photography and these two cameras were my first film camera purchases... one of which was intended as a gift for a friend's birthday, so I was rather disgruntled when I fudged one up and the other's meter didn't work. Had to move to Plan B on the birthday gift. :-)

I've happened across the name of a fellow who works on old SLR's a couple towns over, so I am going to give him a ring and see what would be involved with that. If it's more than I want to deal with, then I may give the tinkering another try.

I appreciate the help. :-) That link has some good information, and I've also found a link to an SRT service manual, although it seems to take an approach assuming you already know what you're doing. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again,
--Spencer

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Spencer: The apeature string is very disheartening, but not impossible to fix. Look at the manual,s page, also many links for repairing the srt,s . I use one of those latex jar lid removers ro remove the ring around the release. after the perimeter screws you unscrew the rewind knob, I usually hold a screwdriver in the fork inside. Then unscrew the two slot spanner nut. If you take your time and go slow you will do fine. I did the same thing with the apeature string and since then I clip onto the string with forceps. But while you have it apart you might as well clean the round follower and race for it. Again check the repair manual page and Good luck, Let me know how you're doing. Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration