Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1/4 inch tripod socket shell - where ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » 1/4 inch tripod socket shell - where to find? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking to add an extra tripod 1/4 inch threaded screw hole into my Century Graphic and wonder if anyone knows of a European or internet source for the 'socket' part of the tripod bush which might be acquired and fitted through a drilled hole in part of the camera.

I've not seen these around, and although it might be possible to extract one from another camera, I wonder if these are sold anywhere to fit standard 1/4 inch tripod screws.

Any instructions for securing the socket unit into the baseboard would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

RJ

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 348

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know of a source for them made specifically for cameras, but there are other types depending on how you want to mount it. A handy place to look (if you're in the USA) is www.mcmaster.com - they sell all kinds of hardware, tools, material, etc... not for cameras but regular stuff. They have "welt nuts" that are sort of top-hat shaped, you can drill about a 5/16" hole and insert one from the reverse side and epoxy it in place (some have a rectangular flange instead of round so it won't spin if you epoxy it in well); I think they also have threaded inserts made for wood, some of which screw in with a big wood-screw thread and some have a flange like the weld nuts but with spikes that you drive into the wood from the reverse side. There are other variations too, you have to go in with a kind of open mind and figure out a way to use what you can find.

The tripod thread is a standard US thread, 1/4 - 20 NC.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 167

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get yourself a cheap 1/4" alloy ball/socket head and remove the camera locking flange from the top. Drill three equally spaced holes for mounting screws/bolts and attach to camera base board. If you have access to a lathe, the required part is very simple to produce. However the use of the alloy flange does give a 'professional' looking modification. Used ball/socket heads can be had for loose change in UK, if you look around.

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick - thanks for the details. I'll double check what I can find here. I'm in Europe, and trying to find imperial measurements isn't easy. Is there any chance that torsion on the axis of the screw socket will cause the socket to rotate within the base of the camera?

Glenn - that's a good idea which I hadn't thought about. I might go and have a look in the island's only photographic store to check the construction. That way I might have a clearer idea of how to do the finish for the 1/4 inch screw socket.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 349

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rj:

I can't post a link the way their site is built, but here is a picture of one that might work:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/tripod-thread.jpg

You would drill a hole big enough to clear the barrel, and then secure the piece to the top of the panel with small wood screws through the 3 holes. To get to this on their site, go to mcmaster.com and type "weld nuts" into the search box. You might be able to get them to send these to you in Europe, I'm not sure.

If you find something in the USA but they won't ship overseas, I don't mind working with you to buy them and forward them on.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 350

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just took a look through their other options, and that one looks like it's probably the best for your application. The ones made for wood generally are made to be driven in with a hammer, which your Graphic probably would not appreciate; there are some weld nuts in stainless steel but they don't have holes for screws

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

I found out that 1/4 inch screws and nuts in Europe are also called 1/4 inch Whitworth screws from a fishing mechanic shop. The thread is identical to the tripod plates I use.

I think your option is the most elegant I've seen. I'll ask McMasters if they're willing to send to the UK.

Another guy on the Graflex Forum has kindly sent me two types, one with an internal lips to lock into the mahoganite. I'm thinking I will probably add one of the ones you've linked to a wooden project camera I'll start working on. Let's see if they'll agree to post overseas.

Many thanks Rick!

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like on the www.mcmaster.com site, a minimum order of 50 packs is required. Perhaps McMaster-Carr are not interested in supplying tinkerers.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 353

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The minimum order I believe is ONE pack of 50 pieces, for $7.60 total. Shipping to Europe, I'm sure the postage will be more than the value of the goods, but here in the US I send orders to McMaster on a scale of $5 or $10 per order and have my stuff within a couple of days.

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

well you're right - I've placed an order for 1 pack and it seems to have gone through. The thought of ordering 50 packs of tripod screws is a bit overwhelming.

Will see if it arrives or not!

Many thanks for your help. Looking forward to getting this modification done!

Kind regards,

RJ

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 354

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good luck with it! if the shipping costs turn out to be reasonable, mcmaster-carr is an excellent source for all kinds of materials, tools, supplies.... all sorts of stuff.

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr can no longer accept orders for private individuals outside of the United States. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you."

- International Sales

Oh dear.

I'm amazed at how complicated it seems just to get a 1/4 inch Whitworth screw tap.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 358

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rj: I'll order a package of these. Send me your mailing address to [email protected] and you can reimburse me through PayPal.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 359

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got them on order, they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Email me and we can figure out the rest.

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I checked with McMaster-Carr who confirmed that my order was cancelled.

PM sent.

Kind regards,

RJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration