Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Super Memar /(Agfa Super Silett... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Ansco Super Memar /(Agfa Super Silette) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got an Ansco Super Memar in the mail today and the focus adjustment is frozen. I understand this is a common problem and that this is the same camera that was sold in Europe, by Agfa, under the name "Super Silette," So I looked up the instructions for unsticking a Super Silette. First the instructions said to remove the focus ring. I did that. So far, so good. Then it says "Having removed the focus ring, take out the front element by unscrewing it." and that is where I am stuck. That lens element won't budge. It is in there solid as a rock. I've soaked it in lighter fluid to loosen it, but at least so far that has been of no avail. Have I missed something? Were the instructions I was following incomplete, or is it just stuck? I thought I'd better ask before I resort to pliers and risk breaking something.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I used the pliers and got it off. Some of that green grease must have spread and gotten into the threads. The two lenses were stuck together, as expected, and are soaking in a film cannister full of lighter fluid. I figure I'll just leave them in there until I can unscrew them.

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a tip that might help: the grease used in many of these German 1950s cameras is much more easily softened by heat that by using solvents.

A few minutes in an oven (low heat) or under a bright lamp. Some people use a heat gun. Some hair dryers may work.

Of course, once you are able to get it un-stuck, you can keep it smooth by completely removing the old grease and re-lubing with modern grease. But that means a complete dissassembly.

If you don't want to do an overhaul, them some light oil on the threads may combine with the old grease to make focusing smooth enough.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, John.

I set it on a table in the sun to heat it up. After an hour it was almost too hot to touch and it STILL was very stiff. I took it apart, resorting to rubber-padded pliers again, scraped and scrubbed out the old grease, using an old toothbrush. That stuff doesn't dissolve easily in lighter fluid even when you can get directly at it, does it? Relubed it with some lithium grease I had onhand for automotive purposes. It seems to be working well and I know that lithium automotive grease takes years to dry out, if it ever does.

I used more lighter fluid to flush out the shutter, and got a considerable amount of crud out of there. I timed the 1-second shutter speed, and it seems dead on, so I am going to assume the others are okay too. I'll do a little very spare spot lubrication inside the shutter and start putting it all back together tomorrow.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration