Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG Film Advance/Shutter button jam Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon FG Film Advance/Shutter button jam « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theflatline
Tinkerer
Username: Theflatline

Post Number: 1

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For some reason the shutter button on my Nikon isn't triggering. I've taken the bottom off the camera and found a way to trigger the shutter so the advancement lever could be pulled, but after doing that, the adv. lever won't catch, or not until after five or six full pulls. When it does catch and depress the shutter button, it only clicks and doesn't trigger the shutter.

I've tried it on M90, Bulb and the same problem occurs. Also, the batteries in the thing are fairly new...

So, I'm thinking maybe I should take the top off to inspect the actual shutter button mechanism, but I'd like an idea of what to look for before doing that.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone could lend me!

Thanks,
Matt

Filmguy
Tinkerer
Username: Filmguy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FG is a terrific camera! I have four, and at least one is always loaded with film.

I don't know which part of the advance/release mechanism is specific to the problem you've described. However, one thing that's common to older bodies is dried or gummy grease. One way to test for that is to warm the body gently for five or ten minutes with a blow dryer. The elevated temperature will soften the internal grease, often allowing the sticking mechanism(s) to work properly for a few minutes. It's not a permanent repair (and may not be the cause of your specific problems), but if the camera responds, you'll know CLA is likely to take care of it.

Theflatline
Tinkerer
Username: Theflatline

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the quick reply! I just tried it, and no dice. Same problem. Push the shutter button and there's no counter pressure...it just clicks and gets stuck...:/

Filmguy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you press the shutter, do LEDs on the right side of the viewfinder light up for a few seconds? Is the mirror down? When you open the back and cock the film advance lever, do the two right-side rollers turn?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 356

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem with the wind lever not catching sounds like the ratchet clutch is sticky and engaging erratically or not at all. There are a couple of basic types, one uses rollers in a drum around the wind shaft and the other uses spring loaded pawls and a ratchet gear... in either case, if it sticks in the disengaged position the lever will freewheel and not wind the shutter.

The release problem I think would be a separate issue, from your description; but I think it would also be related to gummy lubricants making the mechanism sticky. I'm not sure just where to look for that one, I would guess it's in the mirror box mechanisms.

Filmguy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This reminds me of a problem in one of my FGs. I had forgotten about it until just now.

One of my bodies won't fire the shutter if it sits idle with the shutter cocked for a week or two. When the release is pressed, nothing happens. However, after pressing the release button, the shutter will fire as soon as I try to move the film advance lever. After that, the body is entirely normal until it sits again for some length of time. I'm certain this is a simple problem caused by old grease, but I'm a real chicken when it comes to disassembling SLRs. I greatly dislike removing the vinyl covers from any type of camera, especially after having a few bad experiences with TLRs.

Matt, in addition to the other questions I asked, do you know if anyone has attempted to disassemble or repair the body? What's its history?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration