Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Film Winder Help. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon AE-1 Film Winder Help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gump
Tinkerer
Username: Gump

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laugh if you must... I just made a classic "E-bay Blunder". I just purchased a Canon AE-1 and in the "heat of the moment" missed the part in the description that said "THE FILM WINDER IS MISSING".

Sure enough, the pictures even reflect that condition. The camera is on it's way to me. Any idea were such a part might be available? Until I get it I won't know what is actually broken. But, I will certainly want to fix it and thought you folks could point me the correct direction.

Thanks in advance, I'll post again once I have the unit in hand.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch! I saw that happen with a Minolta XE-7 not very long ago, only the rewind was missing and it wasn't mentioned. It was auctioned that way twice. It'll be interesting to know what's actually wrong with your AE-1.

Gump
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, took delivery today and here is what I found.

First the film rewind shaft was loose inside the body of the closed camera. Took a few moments but I got it opened after looking at my A-1 for guidance.

Reinstalled the shaft and unlocked back just fine that way.

The threads for the rewind Cap/lever are damaged. I have seen the rewind cap/lever on e-bay for cheap ($8). Does anyone know where a replacement shaft might be available?

Alternately, does anyone know the pitch of the threaded portion of the shaft?? I'm thinking I could run a die or a nut over it to clean up the threads.

Thanks in advance.

Gump
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I did a bit of on-line research tonight and found this page....
http://www.uscamera.com/1canon.htm
It seems to be what I need!!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 169

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have access to a lathe, it is a simple job to replace the thread end with a piece of threaded studding. Otherwise your US Camera find will solve the problem. I have affected a permanent repair, on a stripped thread in the rewind knob, by using Loctite High Strength Bearing Retainer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration