Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica YK Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica YK « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hospitalera
Tinkerer
Username: Hospitalera

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just coming back from a village fair where I bought a Yashica YK for the whooping sum of GBP 4. Couldn't leave the baby there, between all the shipped crockery and second-hand books it looked kind of sad and abandoned. I don't think it is in full working order, the focus ring seems to be stuck, the shutter works only sometimes, but the glass looks fine. I did a quick google but couldn't find a lot about this particular camera, apparently it is a rangefinder from 1959. I am thinking of getting the instruction manual and having a go at it. Do you think it would be worth it? The manual would be actually slightly more expensive then the camera. SY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think an instruction book will help you much. Most of the problems with these early Yashica rangefinder cameras are relatively easy to repair.

To do a proper overhaul, you will need a few specialized tools (especially a lens spanner). It is sometimes possible to remove the lenses with other tools, but you risk scratching something.

You can get some good tips by looking at the repair articles on this site regarding cleaning the shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration