Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Has anyone ever found a safe way to c... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Has anyone ever found a safe way to clean a focusing screen? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 41

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a rare 1-8 Olympus focusing screen made especially for astrophotography. To my horror, when I opened the box I saw that the seller had wrapped it in a scuzzy old plastic bag that had some kind of grease or glue residue on it and it had deposited some of the offensive substance on my expensive and long awaited screen!!!
Needless to say,...I am beside myself!
Solvents are right out from what I have managed to find online, and it seems that mild dish washing soap is my only hope.
Unless any of our kind and knowledgeable forum members have a better solution?

Nikos
Tinkerer
Username: Nikos

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/7554.html

Nikos
Tinkerer
Username: Nikos

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/7467.html

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 168

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grease is no problem to clean off. However if the contamination is adhesive based, the cleaning is more difficult. The problem is that there is no safe solvent that will just dissolve the deposit, you will have to also use a wiping action with a 'Q tip' or micro-fibre lens cloth. This is where there is chance of marking/damaging the screen.

All I can say is that I have cleaned many, otherwise unusable Canon A and T series screens. Most proved to be completely usable, providing a clear image with no nasty distracting marks for the eye to lock onto.

Glenn.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an alternative, I have used an ultrasonic cleaner (normally used for jewelry) with the cleaning powder supplied to clean removable focusing screens. After cleaning, dump out the solution and refill with distilled water (no residue!) and run it through again, then let it air-dry overnight. I bought my unit at Harbor Freight for less than $50.00 (it's perfect for cleaning eyeglasses!), and it really comes in handy. Or you might take your screen to a jeweler...

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 189

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have only cleaned a handful of Minolta focusing sreens, on two of them I had to tackle adhesive tape residue. Before I used Ronsonol in every case with positive results throughout, I softened the traces of glue by wetting them with contact spray (type "60", CRC Industries), no harm was done to the plastic screens, W.

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned a Olympus OM screen using dish soap. I had accidently let the adhesive backed side of a mirror damper fall onto the screen. This was an ugly situation. I removed the screen from the camera and covered it with saliva to deactivate the adhesive, which apparently worked and after a while patted the screen with a white cotton glove.

It seemed I had disturbed a lot of old dust in the screen, so I filled an 8 ounce cup just to cover the screen with warm water, added a drop of dish soap, and put the screen in and left it to soak. Be sure to avoid scraping the screen around on the bottom of the cup. I retrieved it, rinsed it and patted it down using a new cotton glove (the kind used to handle film) until dry.

The screen emerged relatively unscathed from its adventure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration