Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AL-1 Battery Door Replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon AL-1 Battery Door Replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good Morning All,
Can anyone describe the procedure to replace the battery door on a Canon AL-1 or, know where I can find same? I have searched "far and wide" and can't seem to find anything other than the "wrong" way to do it :-)
Thank you....
Frank
Raleigh, NC

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

probably the same as for an AE1 so check the 9/04 archives.

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,
Thanks for the reply but, the AL-1 and AE-1 battery door configurations are quite different. The AL-1 battery actually fits on the bottom of the "grip" extension/battery module. But, thanks anyway.... I'm still looking...

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Al-1 one is a nice camera but you have discovered it's only common problem. I have been through several and still have one around. It seems that the battery door eventually fails in every case and I think that even our Indian suppliers have never produced a replacement for an obviously poorly designed part (unusual for Canon imho). There is always duct tape.

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 26

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have an AL-1 with defective battery door. The door is missing it's locking tab. As a work-around fix I removed a screw from the bottom of the door frame, substituted a slightly longer screw then screwed it back on adding a small washer that's just large enough to hold the door closed. Works fine. Apparently the doors can be purchased in the after-market but they cost as much as I'd want to pay for the camera body plus they are not simple to install. As many of us know, the popular AE-1 is another Canon model often found with battery door problems. It's obvious Canon did not forsee the weakness in such designs as the camera industry in general gravitated further towards vinyl / plastic in lieu of metal.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration