Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Folding camera lens inter-changeability? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Folding camera lens inter-changeability? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 42

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there such a thing? I mean as far as the old 1930s folding bellows cameras that used 620 film. From looking at a few it seems that the entire lens/shutter/aperture assembly simply screws off and another could be screwed onto just about any other camera of the era. Indeed, many models had several options available.
Were the threads standardized for all, or most all of these rigs?
I just scored an Agfa from 1935 in awesome condition, and I plan on using it often, so it would be nice to know that I had some sort of versatility built into my new system.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

35mm Retinas had interchangeable lenses. There are a few others that I just can't remember off the top of my head but they are out there.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olly,

You might have seen this one:

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Plaubel/Orthar.htm

The Plaubel Makina IIIR is the same (revised) Camera from the original Plaubel Makina, manufactured in the 1920's based on a folding strut design which accepts 120 roll film. It came with a built in leaf shutter (in the camera body. In the original Plaubel Makina I, the 10cm Anticomar lens fits around the shutter. This arrangement held until the Plaubel Makina IIIR when the lens elements were all moved in front of the shutter. There were 3 interchangeable lenses:

1. 10cm Anticomar f2.9 (fast photojournalist' lens)
2. 10cm Anticomar f4.5 (compact travel lens)
3. 73mm Weitwinkel Orthar f6.3 (wide-angle lens, equating to approximately 28mm on a 35mm film for a 6x9cm film diameter)
4. 15cm Tele-Makinar f4.5 telephoto lens.

Although I suspect the IIIR line evolved well past the 30's, the Plaubel Makina screw mount was specific to these strut-based rangefinders. The threads were definitely peculiar, and I've never seen anything interface with this system, outside of the Plaubel Makina catalogue.

In relation to your 1930's bellow camera, 'versatility' defined the 1930's Agfa folding bellows type Isolas, Isolettes, in relation to larger plate cameras. The folding bellows cameras, apart from the press-type cameras, of a base-board type with a rack and pinion rail, were limited by design and as the bellows had to be fixed at the focal length of the lens, it made changing focal lengths for the folding bellows camera very difficult to design.

There were folding bellows cameras with circular front shutters (Compurs, Prontors etc) and fixed focal length lenses which could be folded into cameras; the German companies; Agfa, Balda, Ernemann, Zeiss Ikon all had models sharing such similarities; in England, this was represented by Ross (of the Ensign fame) and other companies.

Although it might seem that a lens/shutter unit could be transplanted, in reality, only a focal length of the same description could be transplanted without major surgical work to the chassis of the bellows, to reduce its focal length extension accordingly. Even still, the lens would still need to be collimated.

I guess I'm thinking that most of these bellows type cameras were considered 'complete' without the need for modularity nor for systems accessories. If you did wish for a versatile system, a Century Graphic type press camera would be ideal, since any excised shutter/lens unit can be easily mounted on a 2x3" lensboard and focussed using the Graphic's built-in bellows extension.

Hope that helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration