Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica-Mat differences? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica-Mat differences? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 62

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 Yashicamats in my reapir shop adn want to
know the differences and maybe a date of
manufacture.

The older Yashicamat....
It has a different logo on the hood, not the typical Y in a circle.
The serial number on the top of the viewfinder is
There are no markings on the winder side tank.
The lens is a Lumaxar 75mm 3.5, taking lens s/n 42755, viewer s/n 62806
The door clasp in the front is more like a hook
shape.
There are 4 steps up to the front oval YASHICA MAT
logo
Everything else seems typical of Yashicamats

The newer looking Yashicamat...
It has a tyical logo on the hood, the Y in a circle.

The serial number on the top of the viewfinder is
There are markings on the winder side tank, says
Yashima Opt. IND. CO. LTD, made in Japan.
The lens is a Lumaxar 80mm 3.5, taking lens s/n
30486, viewer s/n 63658
The door clasp in the front is a square shape.
There are 5 steps up to the front oval YASHICA MAT
logo
Everything else seems typical of Yashicamats.

I haven't been able to find these differences listed anywhere on the internet and would like to know a bit more about the differences?

Thanks,

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 79

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul: The lumaxar lens was the for-runner of the yashinon a four element lens and produced from about 1957-60, It didn't go away , just changed names. The original lumaxar was made by Tomioka optical, This is the same company that made lenses for later Zeiss contax slr. This is a very sharp lense, I used a mat and got wonderful results, the body on the other hand needed cla on a regular basis, The wind can get gummed up, The shutter is a brass copal, a good shutter but it too could give trouble. Just slosh clean would work on them, just remember to remove the glass. The one thing to check is the focus on the viewfinder and compare it to focus at the film plane with a piece of ground glass, I found many didn't agree. It is very easy to fix. The taking lens has a set screw you loosen to set up the viewing lense. One thing you will find on dthe older yashica 124 is that the leatherette is dried and will break so be ready to find replacements...

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 80

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul: Sorry I forgot to mention that the older mats with meter used a selenium cell , selfgenerating. The newer version used a cds cell , and required a px13 battery. They used Mat in the name just to designate auto film stop and shutter cocking. You might find it very similar to an earlier rollie and now the Chinese Seagull. The Rollie used steel parts in the shutter and advance. The Chinese version is budget priced and works fine. Next thing Walmarts will be selliing???Don

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 63

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. There isn't much info available for the 75mm lens. All I found so far was your answer and another I found on PhotoNet as follows...

Tom O'Brien, Jul 29, 2007; 05:42 a.m.

Hello Dmitri,

The Lumaxar lenses were only used by Yashica for about one year. Very few were 75mm and I would think that 95% of all Lumaxar lenses used were 80mm. I also have a Mat with Lumaxar 80mm lenses. Both the lenses and the shutter used with them are odd and unlike all other Yashica TLRs. Differences are: (1) Above the Y on the name plate you will see the ? registration symbol. (2) The shutter speed settings are: B, 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250 and 500. All other Yashicas are: B, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250 and 500. (3) All other Yashica TLR lenses were make by the Tomioka Optical Company but the Lumaxar were made in West Germany. Some people say the Lumaxar lenses were made by Tomioka but Mark Hama says they came from Germany and were installed in the Nagano, Japan factory. I also read an article, written by a professor of photography at SMU in Texas, in which he stated that the color coating used on the Lumaxar was only available in German at the time they were used. When the Lumaxar was used the best Yashica lens was the 3 element/3 group Yashikor and the 4 element/3 group Yashinon was not being produced. The Lumaxar was however a 4 element/3 group lens very similar to the Zeiss Tessar. All Lumaxar lenses are rare but the 75mm is more rare than the 80mm. Your can remove the viewing screen by removing 4 tiny screws. Once removed you can clean the mirror and the back of the viewing lens but you will not be able to clean the rear of the taking lens. That job should be left to a professional camera repairman. The serial on mine is 70434 and I would think that your's is lower ... let me know.

Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration