Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens ID Ring removal tool Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Lens ID Ring removal tool « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick11949
Tinkerer
Username: Rick11949

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other than making your own tools, is there any company that makes a tool for removing ID Rings?

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you mean the front ring of a lens, a lens spanner is used to remove the ring or a rubber cup. Look in the articles and forums on the site for lens spanner.

I am looking for a lens spanner, does anyone have suggestions for a good inexpensive one? I need to remove the front element from an OM 135mm lens.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 370

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micro-Tools has a variety of spanners and rubber-plug tools for this purpose.

I have one or two basic spanners (the standard ~ $15 kind), but more often I make my own by grinding the tips of needle nose pliers to the size and shape I need. You can also bend the jaws to special shapes by heating them red hot in a propane torch flame. These are faster to use and can suit situations that a standard spanner won't fit, but since they do not lock in position you need to use extra care with them.

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember, a friction screwdriver can be used to remove the ring. It is a spanner similar to a rubber cone the size of the ring.

Thanks Rick. I just found it on micro tools. If you look in Lens Tools on the Micro-Tools site, they have the set of cones and individual lens rings.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 51

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I normally cut a ring or a disc of flat rubber (from old car/motorcycle inner tubes). Clean it with lighter fuel, then find a bottle-cap the right size, or the open end of a jar for bigger lenses.

This makes a friction tool that normally does the job. Sometimes a couple of drops of WD40 left overnight will help if it is tight.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration