Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM 135mm Disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » OM 135mm Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an OM 135mm f/2.8 telephoto lens with some fungus on the front element.

I am willing to get a lens spanner to give cleaning the front element a try. I've never disassembled a lens before. The slots on the front ring look very small and even if I had a spanner it might not get a good grip. Does anyone have experience removing the front ring on an OM 135 lens?

I seem to have got myself into a crash course in camera repair, but it might be worthwhile since this is a good lens.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 371

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have notes on the 135/2.8 but i have some rough ones on the 50/1.8 zuiko - i'll be happy to send you that in case it might help.

605er
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciate the help. I ordered the Lens Rings from Micro-Tools. If it looks like I can safely get the ring off I will give it a try. If I get further than that I may need the diagram.

605er
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. The ring made it easy to remove the front lens ring. Below that another ring holds the front element in place. I used the friction tool to unscrew it, but it seems to be a bayonet or snap in mount, since after a few turns it makes a pop sound and comes up and if you keep turning it, it tightens up again. So I lifted it carefully with a toothpick after loosening it and it came out. I tipped the lens out onto micro fiber cloth.

I cleaned the element using a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in water (90% or more water) and then some Leland optical cleaner.

The question I have is, the pattern of fungal growth still appears to be on the lens. I wiped it carefully and lightly with 100% cotton swabs soaked in cleaning fluid and then with the micro fiber cloth.

I can only assume the fungus etched the glass leaving behind the patterns and the fungus is gone. I may not have really had any need to open up the lens.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes it does etch the coatings on the glass I've heard.
Well at the very least you killed that fungus and it can't continue to eat your lens. Not only that, but you've gained some valuable experience.

605er
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. It was a good experience.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 382

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you get fungus out fast enough, you can prevent damage to the glass; if left alone, it will etch into it. If the lens is in usable shape, then you've saved it, because it would have gotten worse had you not gone in and cleaned it. Keep an eye on it, though, it's very hard to know if you've got it all (chances are you haven't, it can still be living in the nooks and crannies in the barrel) .... it may come back.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration