Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 50/1.8 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus 50/1.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Streetlife
Tinkerer
Username: Streetlife

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all. I have the lens apart which was quite easy but how do you remove the front glass on an olympus 50/1.8. Can't see any slots for tools and it won't pop off with my sucker tool? Don't tell me they-----glue them in!!!
Many thanks,
S.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 372

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ID ring unscrews, and behind that the front cell unscrews..... I've never disassembled the cell itself.

Streetlife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick. No rings! Just one front plastic cover (the bit with all the writing on) then under that are three tiny screws. Remove these and the front assembly lifts out complete with front lens elements. Been looking at it for 2 days wating for the dime to drop! I think the assembly unscrews some how and you can then get at the glass but just can't see it?
Cheers.
s.

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott. I think you'll find that unlike the 1.4 Zuiko, the 1.8 front lens group does not separate. The elements are sort of moulded in situ. How the 'growths' get in is a mystery!

J.

Streetlife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi J. Yep, I'm beginning to think that myself. There's just no way in! Cheap-scates Olympus!
Oh well, another one of lifes little puzzzzzles solved! Thanks J.

Nikos
Tinkerer
Username: Nikos

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is nothing cheap about the Zuiko 1.8

Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.8

Streetlife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nikos. Well, opinions aside, mine looks nothing like yours. On mine, the inscription on the front 'Plastic' retainer reads "OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-S 50mm 1:1.8 made in Japan" Perhaps they made a cheaper model of the 50/1.8? All the best.
S.

Nikos
Tinkerer
Username: Nikos

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Scott, I didn't realize that it was you who was asking for help otherwise I would have proceeded with instructions. I am sorry for that. I don't think Olympus ever made two lines of lenses; they were all of the same quality.

The "Plastic" retainer is actually made of anodized aluminum and it has two diametrically opposed notches. With the right spanner you can unscrew it. I used a friction tool i.e. a rubber cone. The two black cones you see in the photograph are the friction tools I used to remove the two front elements. Micro tools sell a set of 6 for about 17 USD. I think they are indispensable. Under the first retainer there is another conical retainer which you have to unscrew with a friction tool. No notches here. Then you can suck out the front element, or let it drop on a soft surface. You repeat the procedure for the second element using a smaller rubber cone. Then in the depth of the barrel there is another element held in place with another retainer. Unscrewing this one with a rubber tool would be tricky; I never had to remove the third element so I don't know how difficult it is.

I hope this is of some help.

By the way, I am not an Olympus fan. I simply bought an OM1 back in the seventies only because I needed a small and light camera. And, since you mentioned opinions, I think the OM1 was an abomination in ergonomics and aesthetics albeit of top notch quality.

Streetlife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nikos. I love my Olympus OM1n, SP, OM30, but I love my FM3a, EM, FT3 F5 more. There not better, just diferent and I enjoy them like some enjoy football?
As to my 50/1.8 the front ring is def plastic (it bends) and under that are three tiny screws, take them out and the whole front unit lifts out with the glass and not a ring in sight! Can't get into the unit to clean the glass as there's nothing to take apart? (J has obviously tried this) The visitors are not that bad really, just thought I'd clean it while I had the time, it's all back together now and I'll probablly not notice any thing anyway, didn't before. Worst thing you can do is use a 3x eye glass to look into your lens-----scary! All the best.
S.
PS. I notice that your's has 'F Zuiko' on the front ring, any idea what the 'F' bit means?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 373

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "F" Zuiko was an earlier production, and that lens is probably the one that my notes apply to. I'm sure I have at least one of the later lenses, but I've never disassembled them.

Nikos is right in that there was never a 'cheaper' and 'better' line of Zuikos. However, they were in production for a long time and clearly the construction did not stay the same throughout. I'm sorry I can't offer more help with your later lens.

The "F" was part of an Olympus code indicating the number of glass elements in the lens. They were in alphabetical order, so D was 4, E was 5, F was 6, etc. They dropped that nomenclature when they went to MC marking for multicoated lenses, and they never went back to it after they dropped the MC marking later on.

Your lens, with neither the "F" nor the "MC" marking, would be from the last series, and it is probably one of the best in terms of optical performance even though the construction may not be as nice.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 374

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, by the way: there just ain't NO WAY you can love your Nikons more than your Olympuses! it's just not allowed!

: ) =

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, thanks Rick. I was raised on Olympus cameras.
They have their share of problems, but they are minor compared to some other cameras, and easy to fix. In fact, I have never had any major melt-downs with an Olympus single digit body.
And I like the "smaller and lighter" philosophy, especially when carrying a lot of equipment around. :-)

Streetlife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I see a brand war looming! To be honest I wouldn't part with any of them, they are all, too special. I started off with olympus back in the days when being 'Cool' meant you weren't hot and 'Ice T' was a drink! Love the shutter speed on the lens mount. Just wish Olymous were still in the game and made the OM1n & OM2, now that would be something and I'd buy them right away! Thanks for the info Rick and constructions ok, I'm no engineer, just wish I could clean the glass.
All the best.
S.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 375

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, of course it's not realistic to wish for the OM1 and OM2 to still be around... but it is unfortunate that Olympus didn't manage to carry the same philosophy forward into the AF era. They have an uphill road now, they're certainly not nipping at the heels of nikon and canon like they were in the 70s.

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikos,
I have the same friction screw driver I will be using to remove the front ring of a OM 135mm. Which way do you unscrew the ring? Counter clockwise? And how much force is necessary?

Thanks

605er
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The friction tool cone from Micro-Tools made it very easy to unscrew the front ring and the inner ring holding the lens element in place. The ring is right hand thread and turns counter clockwise to back off. I used the second cone and it fit perfectly.

BTW I have an E-510 I am happy with and would not have a heavier DSLR camera. I will be using the 135mm on both digital and film.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a related question. I have a nice MC Zuiko F1:8 that I need to break into and clean the aperture diaphragm as it is getting balky.
I can get to it by going in through the back end I think? Without taking the front off?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints,..
(And yes, I DO wish Olympus had stayed in the film camera game with the OM 5, OM 6,...etc.,...*sigh*)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 381

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, you can't get to the diaphragm from the back. but you may have to open the back to clean the linkages.

Peterk727
Tinkerer
Username: Peterk727

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I remove the front from the 50mm F1.4? I have dust in what appears to be nearest the front and would like to clean it up. Can I simply remove the front element at that point? Thanks.

Streetlife
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to know this one too. Since playing with a junker 50/1.8 I've become quite interested in the Olympus lens line up. Perhaps if Rick is out there he might advise.
All the best.
Scott. Learning to love his Olympus's more than his Nikons!

605er
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 50mm f/1.4 has a fair amount of dust in it, not fungus, not dust bunny size either. It does not affect the image, so I would be hesitant to disassemble it just to clean the elements. All my 20-something year old lenses have some dust in them, including the one that sat on the shelf.

The 1.4 front ring does have notches for a lens screwdriver, so in theory the ring should unscrew with a friction tool. On the other hand, I've read about a Pentax lens where the front ring was glued down.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 406

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have notes on the f/1.4. It should be built basically the same as the f/1.8, but since it appears that there were (at least) 2 different constructions of the 1.8 this is probably the case with the 1.4 too.

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer
Username: Michalis_dk

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will find many exploded parts diagrams at

http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/olympus_hw_full.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration