Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning Kodak No. 2 and Six-16 Viewf... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Cleaning Kodak No. 2 and Six-16 Viewfinders « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peidave
Tinkerer
Username: Peidave

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone:

I have received an Ansco Shur-shot, a Brownie No. 2A, and a Brownie Target Six-16 box cameras.

I have cleaned up the Ansco well thanks to its sealed viewfinder, but need some guidance on getting at the viewfinders on the #2A and the six-16 box cameras. I think I have figured out the six-16 (remove the four face screws and that will allow me at the mirrors to clean them?) but need guidance on accessing the mirrors on the #2.

I don't want to damage either camera. All of their shutters work well - their number one problem is grime on the viewfinder mirrors!

Dave

Peidave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, here I go again, at least partially answering one of my questions. I was a bit scared to do it lest I damage the camera, but with the No. 2 Brownie, it was a matter of prying off the front cover with a jewellers screwdriver - it was press fitted onto the case.

Now, what I discovered in that case, is that I will have to replace the mirrors - their backing is failing... Anyone have any ideas on the replacement of these mirrors - especially cutting such a small piece of mirror?

Dave

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave
I have read that a suitable mirror can be found inside a ladies makeup compact case. I haven't tried it myself, but you will have to cut it to size with a glass cutter. Fix it in place with Anita's PVA Tacky Glue, you can get this from an art shop.

Alf

Peidave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alf:

Thanks for the suggestion - I will look into it. Another camera I received today was an old Kodak Tourist in pretty good shape - operational, but again, a cloudy viewfinder (not nearly as bad as the viewfinders). If anyone has any tips about getting into them, sure would appreciate hearing from them!

Dave

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 82

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave: I found another source of mirrors and thats from an old non working polaroid, the sx70 type. Found in resale stores,,,Don

Peidave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don:

Thanks. I will check into that!

I got brave with the Brownie Target Six-16, and tackled it this evening once I found my good jeweller's screwdrivers. Removing the four screws on the faceplate gave me access to not only the 3 lenses, but also to the mirrors on it. I found its mirrors in pretty good shape, but one had come unglued, so I cleaned the lenses, mirrors, viewfinder windows (2 on the six-16), and re-glued the mirror with Elmer's School Glue, a water based but tacky material I don't believe will damage the mirror backing. We shall see. I believe it would be very similar to the tacky glue in Alf's post.

It seems to have done a great job.

One job left, getting at the viewfinder in the Kodak Tourist.

Dave

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a collector of box cameras (amongst other sorts...) who likes to use them, I'd be interested to hear how you get on cutting new mirrors. As a bit of a hamfist, I can see myself ending up with a hand full of mirror shards if I don't wear a decent glove, but I can't see how I'd handle something that narrow without one. Unless there is a special glasscutter's tool for narrow strips? I can imagine that two plates and a wide clamp like a welding clamp might do the trick?

I'd be interested to hear the practicalities from someone who has done this, and still has the use of their hand!

Thanks,

Adrian

Peidave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian and all:

Yes, it will be a trick cutting the mirrors. I have caught lots of glass in the past, but small mirrors like that will be a challenge!

I have finished cleaniing the viewfinder system of the Kodak Tourist, basically following the instructions on:
http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/BN_Photo/KodakTourist_Tech2.htm

The only additional information to that given on that page, is that when you lift out the viewfinder plate, I had to remove a small screw holding its bottom plate, so that I could swing it out of the way for cleaning. Additionally, there was a plastic cap over the two viewfinder lenses which needed to be removed to get at the mirrors. Re-assembly was simple, just a matter of reversing the steps.

The viewfinder is now as clean as new, and the camera still works (whew!)

Dave

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 45

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to mirrors,...I think that there is such a thing as a plastic mirror that would be easy to cut. Maybe Edmund Scientific would have something? Just a thought,....

Peidave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonder about these?

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3052324

Dave

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration