Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikonta/Nettar, new bellows Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Zeiss Ikonta/Nettar, new bellows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been puzzling over the open back of one of my Zeiss cameras that needs new bellows. I've managed to find a "new old stock" Kodak bellows that I think will fit, but getting the old one out and the new one in had me stumped. There is a long strip of metal on either side of the thing that was folded down, apparently during the construction of the camera, to hold the bellows in and I can't see how I could ever bend that thing up (to get the old bellows out and the new one in) and then bend it back down over the new bellows without it looking like a dog chewed on it. recently it occurred to me though that I could simply grind most of it off, leaving about 8-10 metal TABS that could be bent up and then back down without much difficulty. They would hold in the new bellows about as well as that strip does and it wouldn't leave the edge of the camera looking like a ruffle. Has anyone else tried this?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 68

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I am correct and remember right, the entire back flange, film rail n all is snapped in form the inside, over the bellows.

Look in the film chambers and see if there are screws to hold the flange in or if there is the end of the metal that can be picked up form there.

I know there is a trick to this.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm told that the trick is to drill out four rivets (two in the bottom of each film chamber) and the whole inside of the camera lifts out, exposing the back of the bellows. Then, after replacing the bellows, you countersink the rivet holes and put small bolts in them, secured with nuts in the film chambers, to get it back together. I'm using a Nettar for practice and started earlier today. I got all the covering off and scraped away the ... uh ... whatever that is ... shellac, maybe? Tomorrow I'll be at the hardware store, looking for small bolts. If I find them, I'll drill out the rivets, replace the bellows, and let everyone know how it went. Then I'll do my Ikonta. Is that covering they used just painted cloth? That's sure what it looked like. I'll be replacing it with leather.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration