Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose Rolleiflex Tripod Socket Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Loose Rolleiflex Tripod Socket « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I just noticed that the tripod socket on the bottom of my Rolleiflex 2.8C TLR is a little bit loose. When firmly attached to a tripod, the camera can be wiggled slightly, with the motion occuring between the raised tripod socket disk, and the back of the camera.

Looking inside the camera back, I can see two holes for a ring spanner on the back of the tripod socket, which can be seen to move when I wiggle it. The service manual indicates that this has a left hand thread. There is a film guide across this piece which obscures access to one of the spanner holes and prevents tightening it. The film guide is held on with rivets, and is spring loaded as well, so I'm reluctant to remove it.

I can't see any deformation to the camera back nor the tripod socket pieces.

Any ideas on how to tighten it? Is it necessary to remove the film guide? How is that done, and how is it replaced?

Thanks!

Paul

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,
looks like you will have to remove the riveted guide;the rivets have to be drilled out after lifting the leather;from memory,one has a spacing washer . Yes, it is a l.h. thread. Obviously some new rivets...
Cheers
John

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
Thanks for the tips. Do you know where new rivets can be obtained? I see that microtools has an assortment of brass rivet wire. Is that the type of thing I'm looking for? Make my own rivets?
Thanks,
Paul

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 99

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over a long time I think you will get less corrosion if the rivets are the same material as the parts you are riveting.

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie's right, Contax 'bumps' are witness to brass rivets on alloy...but it does take quite a while. If you have problems let me know the dimensions, I may have something you can use in my collection of small rivets.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration