Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 50 1.4 stuck on body--help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus 50 1.4 stuck on body--help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fotoboy
Tinkerer
Username: Fotoboy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

new guy here,,,,
I just purchased an OM-1 with a zuiko 50/1.4 and it wont BUDGE, everything else seems ok, if dirty....any suggestions would be great. (I have been using OMs since the '70s, so I know how its SUPPOSED to work, but never had this problemo)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 376

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never had that happen either. Is the lens stuck absolutely solid, like it's glued on, or does it move a little and then hang up, like it's running into something in the linkage? If it's real dirty, it occurs to me that maybe something got spilled on it and just stuck it together, in which case you might drip some denatured alcohol onto the lens/body seam and see if it loosens up.

Dumb idea, I know. I'll go look at my OM1's and see if I can figure anything else out.

Streetlife
Tinkerer
Username: Streetlife

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Fotoboy. Ok, don't take this the wrong way but you are pushing the lens release and not the DOF button, yes, stupid question I know but had to ask.
There's nothing in the path of the little spring tenntioned catch to hold it back so once it's pushed down then it's twist and go! If the catch wan't there the lens would twist off unless the catch is broke and some nasty little erk has glued the lens on! I take it you can feel the spring presure?
Ricks idea is not so dumb as I bought a centon with 50/1.8 from a boot sale and guess what, that dam lens would not shift! Took a day of dripping VODKA (not really) in between the lens/body and then---pow, it came off! God knows why it stuck, couldn't find anything on it? Be very thrifty with the Vodka! All the best.
S.

Fotoboy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yup, pushing on the right button, will try the vodka, the seller said that they never had the lens off (yea right)but I can feel some grit, like spillage (I hope) as apposed to um sand. button feels like it is working right, from my years of pushing them...so it may just be stuck with sticky stuff. (oh, I dont know coke...coffee...snot..)
back soon.

Fotoboy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YeeHa!

the vodka trick worked...sort of (ok, DNA-denatured alcohol, not vodka) I soaked and soaked then finally I gently tapped a straight blade razor between the metal and soaking some more, all the way around...turns out to indeed be some kind of sticky stuff, that did not make it into the camera gutz, somehow...anyway lens came off pretty easily after the round of razor tapping, not a single mark on the metal either. lens was definately stuck, not a molecule of movement around that ring. good to go now...thanks all

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration