Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Get rid of the musty, basement smell Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Get rid of the musty, basement smell « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hermy2
Tinkerer
Username: Hermy2

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a camera, 2 lenses, lens case and flash. They arrived in great, working condition but they have that awful, musty, basement smell. The equipment looks clean; I don't see any mold or traces of mold. I have had them sitting out, open, getting dusty, for several days. But, boy oh boy, do they still stink! Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? Also, I want to make sure that mold does not grow inside. Any advice here, too? Thanks.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

welcome to the forum - I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advice on this.

For the lenses you might try a dilute solution of Hydrogen Peroxide. This is sold in chemists in strengths from 1% to 9%. The upper limit is perhaps too potent. I find 5% Hydrogen Peroxide more than sufficient. Wear thick rubber gloves (the peroxide attacks and oxidises everything on contact, so a dilute solution used in repeated small quantities is more appropriate) and apply using microfibre or a fine weave non-shredding and non-abrasive cloth.

I do use peroxide on wood surfaces although not on metal (this will only exacerbate any rust). After cleaning the wood with a standard household detergent, you might try rubbing in jasmine oil into the wood. Jasmine oil has a subtle fragrance which renders any musty camera body easier to work with and restore. In any case, you may need proper wood sealant as well as wood wax/lacquer thereafter.

Kind regards.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take everything appart, then a good bath of denatuerd alcohol (the paint store stuff)to completely wash everything out, scrubbibg whatever you can reach with a small brush as well. After it dries out, put one of those fabric softener dryer sheets inside for a few days to give it a nice fresh smell.

Be sure to clean the lens out really good so there will be no fungus growth later. Some people say putting the camera nad lens in the sun for a few days will also kill of fungal growth. Maybe a dose of UV does it good.

Hermy2
Tinkerer
Username: Hermy2

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, it's not a wood camera, so the smell puzzles me. It is a Fuji AX SLR. How can metal, glass, and plastic hold a smell like this? Anyway, since the surface is metal, it sounds like the peroxide is not a good idea. I could try to take it apart, but there is no guarantee I could put it back together ;-) Any other suggestions?

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sun exposure does work. I have a south window in my house that has a constant supply of leather cases and slr bodies that smell of tobbaco smoke and must. A couple of weeks usually kills it. A friend local to me uses a ozone generator. This is a devise I am sure many are familiar with. It has a UV bulb that when turned on emits O3. The setup he has emits the O3 into a rubbermaid bin with the smelly bits inside. The ozone does a similar job to H202 but not in liquid form, thus no rusting. It is not cheap, costing $200+ for a low end unit. They can be found at sharper image in the USA and at some harware stores. Not having many items to de-stink the sun treatment works great for me, maybe try this first. O3 is not something you want around organic creatures. If you opt for this, keep it out in the garage away from living creatures( people, pet, and plants). Good luck.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Storing the camera in a damp place causes mold to grow and stink your camera up. It's probably the green powdery kind, very popular problem.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,

sorry - I assumed it was a classic camera, and not a 1980's plastic SLR.

Sounds like cleaning with denatured alcohol would be more appropriate.

If you can remove the leatherette from the Fuji, you might find your source. Sunlight for several weeks should suffice if you can tolerate the smell. If you do need to keep it enclosed, then add some sodium bicarbonate (not on the camera) to the box where you keep it.

F16 - do you know what wavelengths the Ozone/UV bulb unit emits? I wonder if it is suitable as a steady UV lightsource (240 Volts, AC).

Kind regards.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is an interesting question, maybe a subject for another thread. I will check with my friend and see what the output is of his bulb. This weekend I am going to pay him a visit. BTW, denatured does work well for musty smell. If it is musty and smelly from tobacco however, it will leach back out over time.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 191

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Freshly ground coffee is a good smell remover. Put the coffee powder in a freezer bag together with the item to be deodorized. After a day or two all the musty smell will be gone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration