Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Pellix Pentaprism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon Pellix Pentaprism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alanstarkie2001
Tinkerer
Username: Alanstarkie2001

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just bought a MK1 Pellix for a reasonable price - I always wanted one since seeing one in a shop window back in '73!

Cosmetically the camera is mint, meter works fine, pellicle seems good but the silvering is lifting off the prism. I'd like to restore this camera and wondered if anyone knows if an FTb prism will fit? I could probably obtain a faulty FTb on eBay easily enough.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 96

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My understanding is that the Pellix is only lightly silvered because the light has to pass through it to the film. No other prism does this. Someone who knew what they were doing might be able to correctly resilver your old prism to the proper level.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie would be correct as regards the mirror silvering. But the prism is standard Canon issue from it's era.

Canon unfortunately tied down some of these SLR prisms with what looks like cellophane (Scotch) tape. The result is always bad- the glue eventually lifts the silvering and there is no easy solution. I have seen enough of these to say that it is heartbreaking to to see an otherwise classic camera affected by such a simple blunder. The bad news is that was seemingly done to a whole series of cameras which probably would use the same prism as a Pellix- FT, FTb, TL, etc. but do not hold me to interchangeability. The good news is that although my memory is hazy, I think that they all interchange, and in any case, it will not affect your photos.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 97

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a diagram of the Pellix light path in the Pellix user manual. Available on the Butkus wbsite.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a firm in Britain that will re-silver, or in practise re-aluminium-ise, your prism for about 20 pounds. Try enquiries@scientificmirrors.co.uk.
I intend to give them a try, depending how successful is my attempt to recoat an FT prism using the classic silver nitrate process.

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never worked on a Pellix, but have swapped prisms between FTs, FTbs, and TXs several times. I would assume that the Pellix would have the same prism.

Alanstarkie2001
Tinkerer
Username: Alanstarkie2001

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you everybody. I'll keep looking for a broken FT on eBay but I do like the idea of resilvering the prism. I've not dismantled the camera yet but I can see marks that look they are made by scotch tape on either side of the viewfinder image.

If I go for the resilvering option I'll put up a post of my experience.

Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration