Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Looking for a little different kind o... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Looking for a little different kind of body covering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aepearson
Tinkerer
Username: Aepearson

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm really happy to see all the great materials offered up for restoring the leathers on our old cameras. But...I've decided upon something a little different for my current project and need some advice locating the material.

What I'm looking for is something as close as possible to the soft and textured grip material found on the newer Nikon DSLR's. The best way I can describe it is as a sort of semi-soft rubber.

I've got the body all stripped down so far (Mamiya 645) and will be painting the panels in either a gloss or matte black finish. That's still kind of up in the air. Either way, no more chrome!

If anyone could point me in some sort of direction it would be greatly appreciated, I've searched quite a bit so far with no luck.

Thanks!
-Drew

Aepearson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I found something promising.

Pachmayr Pac-Skin

Comes in 5"x20" sheets, I ordered one last night so I'll let you all know how it turns out. Originally it's meant for custom firearms grips.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 73

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a link to the place you bought it from? I like the sound of this stuff. The only problem i have with the Nikon rubber stuff is it attracts dust n lint as well as gets sticky in time.

When you first started describibg your material need I imediately thought neoprin. A very thin sheet of that stuff may be an interesting match to a wet suit?

Aepearson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the material came today - VERY fast shipping!

So far, I really like the texture a lot. It's almost exactly what I wanted. It's a nice soft rubber feel, with adhesive backing. The only downside I can tell so far is the thickness. It looks about 30% thicker than the factory leather (of course subtracting the paper peel-off backing).

I hope to make some progress on the project this week, I'll make updates if you are interested to see what the material looks like.

I got it from this eBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Lippmans-Shooting-Accessories

Look under "Pachmayr Pac-Skin Gripping", it's item #00716

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 179

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pachmayr product is 0.050" neoprene sheet with a high grade double sided adhesive tape. Using a very sharp blade and with a bit of practise, it is possible to cut a very acceptable chamfer around the edges. Thus the extra thickness is not noticeable.

It works as a very good replacement for those degrading rubber panels found on some of the more modern cameras. I have found that repairers of wetsuits sometimes stock a slightly thinner product.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a light seal material supplied from MicroTools that is a very thin neoprin sold as "domestic (made in USA) light seal foam"

It comes in different thicknesses and I have to see what the thinnest one is in the pack. I'll bet it's the same stuff. I get it as an assorted thickness 5 sheet (8 1/2 x 11" sheet) pack for $25.

ummm ya got me thinkin!

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the "Griptac" material sold by Camera Leather? http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/griptac.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration