Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA needle does not match Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus XA needle does not match « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on my Olympus XA sounds like it fires at the correct speeds. However, the needle in the viewfinder only ever shows something between 1/4 and 1/8 of a second. According to the repair manual (on this site) this can be fixed by adjusting two variable resistors, but I cannot figure out where these are! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Markus

Howpow
Tinkerer
Username: Howpow

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Markus. This needle is independent of the metering system and does not effect the exposure. It is for information purposes only. I can't help as to the variable resistors.
regards
Howard

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Markus,
Like Howard says, the needle is driven by a circuit that is totally separate from the one that actually determines exposure. It also has it's own CdS cell.

Does the needle ever drop all the way down in darkness? If not, then I'd suggest that you take a close look at the galvanometer to see if it has jumped out of its pivots, or hung up on a piece of debris.

If the meter will drop all the way down, then I would suggest checking the CDS cell. The circuit for the meter is very simple: CDS cell, series and parallel resistors and galvanometer. I had to replace the CDS cell assembly in my XA a year or two ago.

The two resistors mentioned in the manual are not variable resistors, they are fixed. They are located on top of the camera on the flex circuit board just to the left of the galvanometer.

Paul

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration