Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-700 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta X-700 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elainep
Tinkerer
Username: Elainep

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have inherited an otherwise pristine X-700 from my late father. It's been in my mum's attic for 13 years. I have replaced the batteries but the LED does not light up as it should. This the first problem. The second is that pressing the operating button has no effect (assume this is because the batteries aren't doing their job?). Finally the film advance lever moves no more than 30 degrees and I have read elsewhere on this forum that this may be a symptom of a problem with the capicitor. Do you think my problem with not being able to get the batteries to work is related? I have removed a part-exposed film and am waiting with anticipation and hope that something comes out! Is it worth my while to get these problems sorted (if it's even possible)? I currently use a Canon Digital SLR but would love to experiment with this manual one, especially as I recall the excellent photos my dad used to take with it. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Elaine. It is very possible that capacitor trouble is at the root of all of this. Assuming you have good batteries and they're installed correctly, I have only one other suggestion. This is a long shot, however I've known of it to be the case on a few of these. The battery cap (screw in cover) is a two piece affair. If it isn't making good contact, the whole camera won't work. Unfortunately this is a bit difficult to test for. Where are you located? I'm taking another long shot and thinking the UK. Please let us know.

Jon

Elainep
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, based in the UK Jon. Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at the battery cap tonight. If it is the capacitor, is this a big/expensive repair?

Elainep
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update on the repair situation: I took it in a local camera shop (Clock Tower Cameras, Brighton) who quickly diagnosed that the switching mechanism required cleaning. They did this for £32 and all appears to be working well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration