Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AV-1 maintenance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon AV-1 maintenance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer
Username: Jonnymorris

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I rescued a nice looking Canon from a pile of junk at a sale today, luckily it was in it's original Canon case (seen MUCH better days, had to throw the case away unfortunately). The sponge inside and around the back door has died - is this critical? Would I be able to replace this myself (where would I get the sponge from?) or is it a pro job?

The camera needs a battery so that's on the shopping list, the one in it was dead.

I have noticed that there's a tiny big of creeping mould inside the front lens element, not visible through the viewfinder, is it worth opening the lens to clean? I have heard that mould never goes away!

With the camera was a Vivitar 70-150 macro zoom lens, it too has a tiny amount of creeping mould, but more alarmingly part of the barrel appears loose, is this normal? Seems like there's just a few screws loose somewhere but they must be inside, how should I fix it? It's at the end which fits to the camera, a one-inch section.

I don't want to throw any of this kit away, I'm sure even with the mould it will provide several years of use, but if I can fix it to be like new then that would be even better!

Thanks in advance.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get an effective reseal kit, try Interslice on ebay. It run by Jon Goodman, a regular contributor to the forum.

Even though the AV-1 contains a lot of plastic parts it is still a nice usable camera, It is probably not worth the effort to clean an FD 50mm 1.8 lens as they can be had pretty cheaply on ebay or your friendly S/H photo shop. Same for the Vivitar zoom. The eqivalent FD 50-150mm 4.5 zoom has a good reputation and is worth looking for.

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could not find 'reseal kit' or 'Interslice' on eBay, do you have a link?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interslice doesn't appear to be currently listed. Jon definitely sells on ebay so best contact him directly, [email protected]
It is a great product especially the body groove strips.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZintersliceQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3a MEFSQ3aMESOI

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Donnie and Gez! I was looking on eBay UK, no wonder I didn't find him.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most welcome. Jon's kits are the best and he gladly ships to the UK.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration