Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 - Condenser Lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Pentax K1000 - Condenser Lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Timbo400
Tinkerer
Username: Timbo400

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

My pentax k1000's mirror was dirty so i cleaned it with some acetone (bad mistake) i got some on the condenser lens and it seems it made it murky/ghosty.

It's annoying when taking photos as the viewfinder displays the ghosty images.

Is there a solvent able to remove this? or is the plastic lens damaged? if so can i replace it easily? (I can eBay a bits model to transplant it)

thanks. timbo400

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No solvent will help - in fact, it was the solvent that damaged the focusing screen, as you guessed. You're going to have to replace it, I fear. I know absolutely zero about K1000s, but most SLRs I know of which do not have replaceable screens only can be removed by taking the top cover and prism off. Someone will likely be along to give details. I learned a few things fixing cameras and one of the big ones was never ever get solvent near an SLR focusing screen or a half-silvered mirror. The other was do not poke shutter curtains with your finger.

Timbo400
Tinkerer
Username: Timbo400

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i cleared A TINY bit using "windex" (window cleaner) but i guess it's permanently damaged. :/

oh well ill practice on a dummy model

thanks.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 387

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Acetone is among the very worst possible solvents to ever have near a camera - it will attack plastic, paint and leatherette, and it's not really good for your hands either. Throw the acetone away and buy a bottle of cigarette lighter fluid if you need a hydrocarbon solvent.

For cleaning mirrors, I use Kodak lens cleaning fluid first, and then just my breath to clean off the water marks.

To replace the focusing screen in the K1000, first you'll need a new screen; the easiest place to get one is probably another K1000. Once you have that, you need to pull the top cover and prism off of both cameras to get the screen out. I'll be happy to send you some sketches if you would like them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration