Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Transferring Fungus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Transferring Fungus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not overly concerned about transfer of fungus from one lens to another or from the lens to a camera, given that the air is full of mold spores and even if one did sterilize a lens completely it would be exposed again immediately.

I do wonder about sharing of lens pens or micro fiber cloths between lenses that may have had fungus in the past with new lenses or generally good condition older lenses. Is there a real concern? The lens pen material is kept in the dark because of the cap so it might be fertile ground for fungus although the cleaning solution might inhibit it. The cloth holds any dirt it picks up until washed, so it might harbor mold spores, but it might do that anyway just from taking it out of the package.

Is there any practical worry about this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 101

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always used lens tissue and thrown it away after use. I'm not paranoid, it's just the way I was brought up.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration