Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

White painted letters Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » White painted letters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Csupplee54
Tinkerer
Username: Csupplee54

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a black film reminder dial that has white painted letters. The paint is wearing away from age and cleaning. I don't want to remove from the camera, but want to repaint these letters. Short of using a very tiny brush, is there another way to repaint these? Thanks.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 182

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the following method:- fill in the letters/numerals with a matt white enamel and leave to dry for a couple of hours. I then place a drop of Turps on a piece of smooth, fairly thick card.then rub away the excess paint so that the infill is level with the top of the dial, top plate etc. I use enamels used for painting plastic kits.

Get the drying period correct and the removal of the excess is very easy and does not damage the infill. If you try too soon, the infill starts to come off also. Do not use a cloth to rub off the excess, you need a rigid surface so that the infill is effectively 'cut off' flush with the surface. A cloth will drag out the paint from the indentations.

For dials I use a circle of card stuck onto the end of a piece of dowel. A cereal box provides the ideal piece of card - use the unprinted side and just keep the surface dampened with the turps/white spirit.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 87

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would work for engraved lettering I use a white paint stick and fill using a plastic rod filed down at an angle. Now if it is a decal or printed lettering good luck. Don

Csupplee54
Tinkerer
Username: Csupplee54

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips. I'll try out soon.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration