Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed Ikoflex shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Jammed Ikoflex shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evisc
Tinkerer
Username: Evisc

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an Ikoflex I 850/16, the camera seams to be in great shape except that the shutter winding lever and the delay action lever is jammed in wound position. They are not released by pressing the shutter release. Is there an easy fix for this problem, and if not how do I get access to the shutter? (I included a picture to better explain the problem)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember correctly the whole front lense assembly unscrews, this gives access to the cover screws underneath. From then on exposing the shutter mechanism is straightforward.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried this, but I can't remove the metal cover for the shutter because of the way the levers are jammed.

Thanks anyway!

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have the hood open ?, the shutter will not fire if the hood is collapsed.
Also try the frame advance, if the transport for the film is not advanced the shutter will also block to stop you from making double exposures.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot, be sure the camera thinks it is at the start of a fresh roll of film by resetting the knurled ring around the frame counter. after "12" it blocks the shutter and just winds on.
Never used mine after fixing it, too many fail safes and horribly overengineered.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again, I've tried all of the above mentioned and I'm able to press the release, but nothing happends...

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you push the release try at the same time "assisting" the self timer by pushing the lever upwards. Do not force. Only when the ST has wound down will the cocking lever for the shutter release. I think I know now where I hid mine so I can see if I can come up with a scheme to get yours open.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I tried working the ST while pushing the release. It worked for my lubitel, but the Ikoflex ST is unyielding, and I don't want to force it... It would be really great if you could figure out a way of getting at the shutter mechanism!

I'm also thinking; perhaps one could pour some solvent inside the shutter to remove any dirt or corrosion than might be causing the problem... But this might drench and wreck the entire camera. Any thoughts?

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try pushing up the ST lever whilst at the same time depressing the shutterlever on the side, as you depress the shutterrelease at the top of the camera.Off course remembering to have the filmtransport advanced etc, etc........ mine has exactly the same problem as yours, if the ST is cocked the mechanism freezes.(so much for thinking I got it fixed) I got the ST to spool down by doing what I described above.
I doubt if you will wreck anything by pouring lighterfluid in but I don not think it will "solve" anything as too little of the solvent will go where it is needed.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried pressing every combination of the buttons and levers of the camera at the same time, but nothing happens... I think I'll have to get access to the shutter, but of course the ST lever and the shutter lever is stopping me from that. I'm starting to think; maybe I don't need a self-timer!

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I have a later model and there the little knob on the ST unscrews. The cover once it is loose can be rotated so the cutout on the left side lines up with the shutter lever in whatever position. Once it clears the shutterlever it is possible to lift/cant, slide the cover off over the ST lever.
I hope the focusing mechanism moves nicely as I remember that was more of a challenge to get right than the shutter.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got at the shutter. I removed the ST and I'm now able to fire the shutter, but is a bit sluggish and the blades doesn't close. I think I need to clean the shutter mechanism and the blades, but I can't get access to the backside of the shutter to separate the two halves. Any tips? Can I remove the viewing lens? Does it unscrew?

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a a few drops of lighter fluid on the blades and the slow speed gearbox to see if that does free things up. Afterwards on B you can clean off whatever ran onto the back lense element. Depending on how much you have poured on it can take a day or two for the fluid to fully evaporate.
the viewing lens unscrews, but try not to change the position of the collar that holds it to focus at the same distance as the taking lense.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried some lighter fluid, without great success... Think I need to clean the shutter blades. For this to happen; I'm thinking I'll need to remove the viewing lens. Do I have to remove the collar in order to remove the lens? Also can I remove the moving part of the focusing mechanism in order to access the backside?

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been a while since I was there and I had the front off but I cannot remember if that actually allows you to take the whole shutter off. The front panel can only come off if you take both side panels off and uncouple the focussing excenter on the left side where the knob is and I think I had to take the right side off to be able to get the guide rails lined up (or was there a stop?)on reassembling. If the focussing is working without too much play and is not too stiff I would leave it alone as this is a part of the camera that is underengineered, if it works do not go looking for trouble. If you keep the shutter release on the top depressed you can "excercise" the shutterblades with the cocking lever and use lighterfluid to wash all the muck out, I would try that first.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's alive, it's alive! I think I figured out the problem. Some former owner must have disassembled the shutter and put it together the wrong way! I can't believe I missed it, but the loose part preventing the ST from being used in B-mode was missing... It had been placed as indicated with red in the picture, instead of where it's supposed to be (green)!
Shutter
The shutter runs now, but it is still a bit sluggish and unpredictable. I'll do some more cleaning, and maybe not put the ST unit back in, as it seams to be causing some of the problems... The pin where the ST pivots seams a bit bent, is it worth doing something?

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very good, again a step closer to exposing a roll of film! If you are not going to use it, I would block the ST (matchstick,toothpick) and leave it alone otherwise. Perhaps you will fix it next year............ Without acces to a lathe, properly straightening pivots is very difficult. Clean some more and leave it sitting for week. When I cleaned my rolleicord it was fine for as long as I used it. As soon as I let it sit for a few days the shutter became sluggish again, I had not cleaned enough and had to start all over.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I keep on cleaning it, and the Q-tips keep turning brown... I'm thinking maybe the previous owner helped me some more by oiling the shutter blades! Might be rust though... Keep on cleaning?

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lets hope it is dirt/oil and clean some more. I have bought some much rained on cameras at fleamarkets but the shutters with only one exception were never rusted, evidence/damage of lots of moisture were visible in other areas of those cameras though

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I haven't responded and thanked you for your help... I've been busy (exams)... The shutter is working on all speeds, but the 1/15 and 1/25 speeds seams a bit fast. They are not engaging the timing gears, so I'm thinking it's maybe that? Anyway I'm prioritizing my Rolleiflex 2.8e, so if you have any tips see the other tread...

Thanks!

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After working on the Rolleiflex the only conclusion can be that the best way to fix an Ikoflex is to replace it with a Rolleiflex.............
I keep on being dissapointed by my Ikoflex.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're probably right... I enjoyed trying to repair it though, and I learned a lot! Thank you for all your help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration