Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax II Repair (Strike No. ~) Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Contax II Repair (Strike No. ~) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last week I opened a box on the top of a cabinet for the first time in over a year.

This is what can be found inside:

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/images/Repair/Contax%20II%20screw%20assembly.jpg

I was bewildered and shocked that someone had the nerve to disassemble my Contax II and leave it this way.

Then I remembered it was me. Thinking back to the start of last year, I commenced work on this; the shutter jammed and the rangefinder needed cleaning.

Without a repair manual, I had methodically worked the camera apart in a clockwise direction taping the screws down. It was then in spring, I was called away on assignment.

By the time I returned to England, I've now completely forgotten what I was doing.

Help?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 389

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That doesn't look TOO bad, it looks like the curtains are still in the shutter crate. Send me an email to rick_oleson@yahoo.com and i'll send you some sketches and notes that may get you started. I'm not sure just what all you have under the bits of masking tape but hopefully we can get it back together

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

I remember now why I abandoned the project so abruptly.

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/images/Repair/Contax%20Chassis%20Fracture.jpg

The shutter unit is patent, however the chassis is fractured.

The whole camera is there (either under the masking tape) or here:

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/images/Repair/Contax%20II%20dissassembly.jpg

I don't think this one is going to succeed, unless I can find an intact chassis. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

RJ

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/images/Repair/Contax%20Fracture.jpg

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 393

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might be able to drop in a shutter from a Kiev.....

:-)=

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick - I had thought of that possibility. Is there a specific type of Kiev (not the Kiev IV which I lovingly restored!) shutter which is needed? It seems a strange thought, to use a cheaper engine inside something as historic as the Contax II. Although facing the alternative, which is to split the camera in several hundred parts instead of the intensive labour to put this all together again...I'm really unsure...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 394

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think any from II to 4 / 4a could be used. Not so sure about the 4m and 4am models, they made some changes there that would probably be a problem (although if you're clever you might be able to put together the only Contax II on your block with a fixed takeup spool!)

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

I've ordered another Kiev IV for its shutter from the former Soviet bloc. As far as I recall, the 4M/4AM were incompatible.

I'm not clever enough to pull the latter alteration off. I can just about reassemble the http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/images/Repair/Contax%20II%20screw%20assembly.jpg applying all my concentration and effort.

Cheat sheet around at all?

Kind regards,

RJ

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 395

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

most of my notes relate to replacing the shutter ribbons; the may not tell you all you need to know but i'll be happy to share what i've got. email me at rick_oleson@yahoo.com

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick - email sent.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration